Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are you in trouble when you jaywalk?

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    My daughter got a ticket for jaywalking in DC. How do you define jaywalking? Was she crossing the street in the middle of the block?
    Quote Originally Posted by [I
    ToomuchStuff;289036]It is a ticketable offense and there is the possibility of "no fault" where each is responsible for their own expenses. However the car will get a ticket for failure to yield which is what cars drivers are supposed to do for humans[/I].
    Yes, jay-walking is defined as crossing the street anywhere other than at a crosswalk.

In the small town that I live in, it depends on city ordinances. I had a long conversation with a city policeman because I was tired of jay-walkers walking out in front of my car while driving through the busy downtown area. I was told that if there is a sign that says ‘no jay-walking’ then the car has the right of way and the person can get a ticket for jay walking. If no sign then anything goes, neither has the right of way. Also, I see cars doing u-turns in the middle of a downtown city block and again if there is not sign saying ‘no u-turn’ then it is not illegal and any can do a u-turn in the middle of the street in the midst of traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by goldensmom View Post
    Yes, jay-walking is defined as crossing the street anywhere other than at a crosswalk.

In the small town that I live in, it depends on city ordinances. I had a long conversation with a city policeman because I was tired of jay-walkers walking out in front of my car while driving through the busy downtown area. I was told that if there is a sign that says ‘no jay-walking’ then the car has the right of way and the person can get a ticket for jay walking. If no sign then anything goes, neither has the right of way. Also, I see cars doing u-turns in the middle of a downtown city block and again if there is not sign saying ‘no u-turn’ then it is not illegal and any can do a u-turn in the middle of the street in the midst of traffic.
    The U turn culture is out of control here. We, behind the U
    turner, have to sit and wait while the incmpetents complete their 3 point turn.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 1-20-18 at 1:24pm.

you probably won't get a ticket, but you have a very good chance of getting killed, especially if it's at night, it's not easy to see. So next time one wants to jaywalk they should consider whether or not they like living enough to keep trying to stay alive, and even if they don't, it's not a good way to go ...

If one wants to risk take they should take up something like mountain climbing, it's safer. Regardless of who is at fault legally is that going to do a dead or permanently paralyzed person that much good, I don't think so. Just use the crosswalk especially at night.
    Trees don't grow on money

Yppej
    Think of all the people who could get ticketed because their mailbox is on the opposite side of their street and they walk over daily to get their mail, and there is no crosswalk for them to take.

Not to mention all the chickens who cross the road to get to the other side.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Think of all the people who could get ticketed because their mailbox is on the opposite side of their street and they walk over daily to get their mail, and there is no crosswalk for them to take.

Jeppy, ha. Hahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post

Oh those chickens! I lived near a town in California where the chickens had the right of way. In Denver there are several areas that geese have priority

I think there is a difference in crossing your un-busy street and crossing in a city on a busier street, especially if you are coming out between cars. I don't know the specifics but I do want to ask if she has some kind of death wish.

Ultimately, you can ignore local ordinances with impunity but still get penalized by the law of natural selection.

She is back today in a boot, and said that she got a citation. If I was the driver I would have appreciated that,

California loosened their jaywalking rules as of January 1st. Before that you were a criminal if you started crossing the street after the pedestrian countdown timer had started counting down. Now it's only a crime if you don't step onto the opposite curb before the timer is done counting down.

Thread Information