Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Our Government shutdown threads

Plenty of people are trying to escape their war torn countries and you can't blame them.

Yppej
    I am waiting on tax forms to come as I do mine on paper. I don't see anything on the IRS website about what impact the shutdown will have on them. Does anyone know?

Yppej: I'm sorry that I don't have your answer, but could you tell me if they mail you the forms? I've been doing paper returns since our refund was stolen a few years ago, but I've printed the forms from the IRS and MA DOR websites. I no longer have access to the printer at the office and don't have my own printer, so if there is a better way than printing them at the library from the websites, I would love to hear it!

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Plenty of people are trying to escape their war torn countries and you can't blame them.
    per,the UN 65,000,000 are displaced dues to forcible removal
    22,500,000;refugees
    10,000,000 stateless people. Who have no access to medical care, education etc.

http://www.unhcr.org/en-us/figures-at-a-glance.html

what would Jesus do? Tell them to stay in their shithole countries and refugee camps? Or try to do something, even some little things to help. Oh wait, we need a tax cut more than anything so let’s cut foreign aid. And defund any agency that might also provide abortions to these incredibly sad lot of humans.

I went thru several shutdowns. They are all different and there is no way to tell what will be affected. However, bulk tax forms are not mailed by the IRS but by private contractors. If you requested something and it requires an IRS employee AND they are off next week, the work will just pile up.

Another way is to download the form to a USB stick and take to a printer, whether library, company or friend.

Yppej
    It is not a bulk order, just for myself. I called my library today but they don't have any forms yet. I don't want to waste my toner printing forms and instruction booklets.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    About the shutdown - here's a positive take on it. My guess - my hunch, rather - is that it is not going to last very long. Why do I say this? Trump is polling very low these days and from what I'm reading online, more Americans are blaming the GOP for the shutdown than the Democrats. Assuming Trump can calm down and reach a reasonable state in private (?), it may dawn on him to minimize the length of time the Federal Government is partially shut down. We'll see - Certainly I have been known to be wrong before. Rob

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    https://www.snopes.com/trump-criticize-obama-shutdown/

in 2013 this what Trump tweeted when the government shut down.

“A shutdown falls in the President’s lack of leadership.
    He can’t even control his own party and get people in a room.
    a shutdown proves the President is weak”

funny how now it’s Schumer’s fault.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    https://www.snopes.com/trump-criticize-obama-shutdown/

in 2013 this what Trump tweeted when the government shut down.

“A shutdown falls in the President’s lack of leadership.
    He can’t even control his own party and get people in a room.
    a shutdown proves the President is weak”

funny how now it’s Schumer’s fault.
    To quote an over the top drag queen friend of mine in the 85006 - That's just toooooooooooo DELISH!!!!! Rob

Some advice to those who tweet? Be careful what you tweet as it seems to be able to come back and haunt you.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Perpetual aggrievement and fear do seem to be the defining factors in Rob's descriptions of the 85006, although I suspect it's an exaggeration.
    I fear you may be right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I am waiting on tax forms to come as I do mine on paper. I don't see anything on the IRS website about what impact the shutdown will have on them. Does anyone know?

Depending on the form, some of the instructions were just posted as of Jan. 19th. Normally, the forms are finalized by the 20th of December. I would think the printers may have started on them this weekend. I would recommend just downloaded and printing off the form and save the pdf of the manual.

Thread Information