Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Our Government shutdown threads

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    https://www.snopes.com/trump-criticize-obama-shutdown/

in 2013 this what Trump tweeted when the government shut down.

“A shutdown falls in the President’s lack of leadership.
    He can’t even control his own party and get people in a room.
    a shutdown proves the President is weak”

funny how now it’s Schumer’s fault.
    that is actually pretty funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I am waiting on tax forms to come as I do mine on paper. I don't see anything on the IRS website about what impact the shutdown will have on them. Does anyone know?
    I haven't been able to get anyone who knows anything on the phone, but I have heard a lot of great hold music.

Supposedly, a revised W-4 incorporating the new tax law was going to be provided "soon"; but that was before the shutdown.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Wasn't there a statistic recently that showed more U.S. citizens are going to live in Mexico than there are Mexicans coming here? I think so, the emigration patterns have flipped.

Factors such as
    1) The Trumpster’s loug postering about illegals and what he’s gonna do to them
    2) incresingly good economic environment in Old Mexico

are driving this change.
    Mexico may be the new Florida for baby boomers. Two of my friends and their partners have retired to Mexico and are very happy.

MONTHLY EXPENSES COST (USD$)
    Rent & Internet $375
    Electricity & Water $0
    Food $300
    Transportation $20
    Entertainment $50

Total $745
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Mexico had a record number of murders this year. You couldn't pay me to live there.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Mexico had a record number of murders this year. You couldn't pay me to live there.
    Hi TT! There are parts of Mexico, Querataro being an example, which are safer than most places in the US. Then there are places I would not want to show my face in in broad daylight - Acapulco would be an example, or most of Sinaloa, or Tijuana since about last October. What I'm trying to say is that there are places in Mexico that warrant your comment and there are places in Mexico that don't.

If you ever cross the border, make sure you are headed towards one of the safe places and not one of the danger zones. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Mexico may be the new Florida for baby boomers. Two of my friends and their partners have retired to Mexico and are very happy.

MONTHLY EXPENSES COST (USD$)
    Rent & Internet $375
    Electricity & Water $0
    Food $300
    Transportation $20
    Entertainment $50

Total $745
    My take is that more and more people are going to become more open to leaving the US to get out of the rat race sooner and most especially if Medicare is messed with in any real way. I personally consider this a positive development........though I can see that some who are forced into this through pure economics will not see it this way. Rob

Looks like the government will be up and running again until February 8th. Crossing my fingers and hoping my acquaintance in the 85006 gets their passport before any potential future government shutdown(s). Rob

I wonder if T got his wall in the temporary measure? The big issue in the news was mostly about DACA.

It appears that the main things that were accomplished beyond funding the government for a few more weeks was a 6 year extension of CHIP and the promise of McConnell (for whatever that's worth...) to bring DACA (and presumably some amount of increased border protection funding) to an up or down vote in the senate before February 8th.

Undoubtedly some democrats will be unhappy that DACA wasn't directly taken care of, but honestly, the dems have a pretty weak hand right now, so getting CHIP off the table before the next round of this game seems like a pretty good conclusion.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    It appears that the main things that were accomplished beyond funding the government for a few more weeks was a 6 year extension of CHIP and the promise of McConnell (for whatever that's worth...) to bring DACA (and presumably some amount of increased border protection funding) to an up or down vote in the senate before February 8th.

Undoubtedly some democrats will be unhappy that DACA wasn't directly taken care of, but honestly, the dems have a pretty weak hand right now, so getting CHIP off the table before the next round of this game seems like a pretty good conclusion.
    Even thinking about not letting poor kids have health care, especially these days where there is such a clamor to do everything to restrict abortion, is unconscionable. Pro-life does not end when the baby is born.

DACA should be very carefully considered. It is not something that should be rushed through and tacked on somewhere. One more thing that should have been addressed for many years but the cowards who cared more about earning money and being re-elected continued to sweep it under the carpet. But they have to do it right.

you know, this whole debacle is one of the reasons the Republicans won si bigly. Putting the needs of illegal immigrants before the needs of actual citizens enrages many hard working average Americans. Until Democrats acknowledge that, they have little hope of big wins. In our local school kids show up without a word of English, cannot read in their native language, and are put in an age appropriate classroom. I have several friends who volunteer tutor and they are finding it extremely discouraging, especially when they go home to non English speaking households. Very difficult to see the kids make much progress. There just isn’t enough money to do everything that is required for regular students. plus address the special catch up needs of these kids.
    Last edited by flowerseverywhere; 1-23-18 at 7:56am.

Thread Information