Thread: Jump rope

Jump rope

For the past couple weeks or so I have been jumping rope for ten minutes a day four days a week. The other three days I do some weight-bearing exercises with a couple dumb bells I have.

After I jump rope though -- wow! I feel better. And it really gets the heart pumping and the heavy breathing.

My plan is to bump up to 15 minutes next month and then in March bump up to 20.

I just put on some P-Funk or a couple disco songs and start jumping! Surprisingly fun work out. Very cheap and very minimalist.

Pay attention to your technique. A friend in his 40’s recently capped off 20 years of jumping rope every morning with rotator cuff surgery. Apparently there is a wrong way to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    rotator cuff
    Shoulder?

Yeah.

Yeah.
    My shoulders aren't much in use when I jump. His were?

Apparently, all I know is that the medical professionals involved cited his jump rope technique.

Apparently, all I know is that the medical professionals involved cited his jump rope technique.
    Does your wrist have a rotator cuff? I turn my wrists in tiny circles.

I don’t know. I Know it was his shoulder.

Back in the day when I was in the paid workforce, I had a jump rope in a bottom desk drawer. When I wanted a break, but a better break than a "coffee" break, I would kick off my shoes and jump rope. I took off the shoes to be a little quieter, in consideration of other people working in the same room. The floor was carpeted.

I can still get up and do it now, with a wholly imaginary rope (muscle memory, I guess). It is even more minimalist without the rope.

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    Back in the day when I was in the paid workforce, I had a jump rope in a bottom desk drawer. When I wanted a break, but a better break than a "coffee" break, I would kick off my shoes and jump rope. I took off the shoes to be a little quieter, in consideration of other people working in the same room. The floor was carpeted.

I can still get up and do it now, with a wholly imaginary rope (muscle memory, I guess). It is even more minimalist without the rope.
    Clever ideas!

I have heard of people keeping one in the car or in a backpack or purse to use if a work out is missed or just to work out.

There are even some folks on youtube who travel the world and their only means of a work out is a jump rope they have in their rucksack. Kind of a cool idea, I think.

I like jumping rope, which I did not expect. 10 minutes can really get me huffin' and puffin'. I break a sweat around minute 3.

Thread Information