Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dental X-rays

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    Thank you for posting this. Makes me feel better about the dental care I am receiving.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Today I read, on both the American Cancer Society and Web MD websites, about increased risks of the most common type of brain tumor for people who get annual dental x rays, which have always been pushed on me. I am going to say no now.

Thank goodness for all the years I missed because I didn't have dental insurance.

If I have a problem like a toothache then I will get them.

It has seemed to me that most dentists use the x rays to sell fillings of increasingly minute cavities. It appears to be a profession with a lot of upselling. One dentists wouldn't go over my x rays with me because someone else at her practice took them and "I won't get the commission". There are also the chains like Aspen Dental that have jumped into the market now that it is lucrative enough.

When I lost dental insurance, I changed to cleanings once per year and x-rays every other year.

Not seeing any adverse results and it saves money.

I would compare dentists to time share salesmen but I don't want to insult time share salesmen.

Unfortunately, my teeth are in pretty bad shape because I cannot find a decent, HONEST dentist that isn't hell bent on selling me 50 procedures that I do not want nor need, extensive x-rays being one of them. "But today's x-rays are only a fraction in strength what they used to be", etc., "We have to do a full examination and x-rays of your mouth before we can decide on a treatment plan".

Oh please.

I'm so fed up with it. I call and ask what the "consultation fee" is and the receptionist/office manager acts like I am speaking Martian.

I think X-rays and exam before treatment plan are good medical practice.

Yppej
    I don't like the term treatment plan. It assumes everyone has something to be treated and no one on the world has good teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by enota View Post
    I would compare dentists to time share salesmen but I don't want to insult time share salesmen.

Unfortunately, my teeth are in pretty bad shape because I cannot find a decent, HONEST dentist that isn't hell bent on selling me 50 procedures that I do not want nor need, extensive x-rays being one of them. "But today's x-rays are only a fraction in strength what they used to be", etc., "We have to do a full examination and x-rays of your mouth before we can decide on a treatment plan".

Oh please.

I'm so fed up with it. I call and ask what the "consultation fee" is and the receptionist/office manager acts like I am speaking Martian.
    r
    I am sorry that you feel that way...you are contradicting yourself. first you say that that your teeth are in bad shape. Then you say that you say that they try to help you, but then you state that you don't need their help and you know more than the dentist and staff.
    my suggestion is go into your tool box and get the rusty pliers and extract your teeth yourself. There. Problem solved

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I don't like the term treatment plan. It assumes everyone has something to be treated and no one on the world has good teeth.
    Ok how about a Comprehensive Examination ? There are terms that are used in all professions .

But you need a treatment plan because your teeth are bad by your own admission. Don’t worry about everybody else and whether they need one. Just take care of yourself.

Yppej
    I personally have good teeth. My original dentist told me they would last me until I'm 100. Then he retired and an upseller bought the practice.

Sorry - I confused you with someone else ...

Thread Information