Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Dental X-rays

Back on the subject of teeth...I am bummed. Finally had my one and only crown replaced after finding a second opinion dentist I thought I liked and who charged $400 less than the first one I saw. A week later and I still can't chew on that side without extreme tenderness. I don't know why but if I go back to have him look at it, I believe he will say I now need a root canal. The first dentist said the chances of a root canal in my case were slim to none - I believe he was probably more ethical. The dentist who did the work seemed rushed and was kind of rough. The good news is I have lost five pounds in a week because I can't eat anything but mushy stuff. What to do...??

Pinkytoe, I am sorry you are having such trouble. You might need a root canal. Sometimes trauma to the tooth- crowns and replacing them- can hurt the root. At least that's what I was told after having a huge cavity filled, then crowned and then needing a root canal. The original dentist was my brother in law and I trusted him, then he died, the periodontist found the need for the root canal and the kid who did it was great, his brother is now our dentist and he explained the trauma part to me as I was upset it happened.

I am reading a book now about toxic substances in food that notes upper limits for these are sometimes set by the government without any research proving these exposure levels are actually safe. I wonder if this is the case with radiation/x-rays. Years ago no one questioned that it was safe to x-ray your foot to find shoes that fit, or have radium on clocks. How do we know that the people who want to sell us x-rays are giving us complete and accurate information, or that they even possess such knowledge, or that anyone does?

Edited to add: I am further into the book and the author notes that upper limits go down with time, as further research shows dangers not previously recognized.
    Last edited by Yppej; 3-7-18 at 5:41am.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    Back on the subject of teeth...I am bummed. Finally had my one and only crown replaced after finding a second opinion dentist I thought I liked and who charged $400 less than the first one I saw. A week later and I still can't chew on that side without extreme tenderness. I don't know why but if I go back to have him look at it, I believe he will say I now need a root canal. The first dentist said the chances of a root canal in my case were slim to none - I believe he was probably more ethical. The dentist who did the work seemed rushed and was kind of rough. The good news is I have lost five pounds in a week because I can't eat anything but mushy stuff. What to do...??
    It could be that the crown is too high and you bite on the high spot first instead of having a balanced bite. Extremely common

I am going back in to see if it needs adjusting. Hope that's all it is. Thanks all!!

Quote Originally Posted by boss mare View Post
    r
    I am sorry that you feel that way...you are contradicting yourself. first you say that that your teeth are in bad shape. Then you say that you say that they try to help you, but then you state that you don't need their help and you know more than the dentist and staff.
    my suggestion is go into your tool box and get the rusty pliers and extract your teeth yourself. There. Problem solved
    One time I bit into an incredibly hard apple and damaged my tooth. It was loose. I went to a "dentist" (well respected, highly recommended). After a BATTERY of xrays (not ONE OF WHICH HE EVEN GLANCED AT), he said. "We'll have to remove it".

I said. UM.....no......I'd like to save the tooth.

He said. "It's not worth saving".

(thinking to myelf) Excuse me? Isn't this MY TOOTH we're talking about? I'd like to at least TRY to save it you bombastic bastard.

The correct answer would have been.

"Yes, I understand that you would like to save your tooth. I'm sure there are several things that we can try. I certainly cannot guarantee the outcome, but I am happy to do what I can".

Or perhaps

"There ares many different options to choose from. Some are more expensive than others. Let me get some information together for you".

NOT "THE TOOTH ISN'T WORTH SAVING".

Quote Originally Posted by enota View Post

"Yes, I understand that you would like to save your tooth. I'm sure there are several things that we can try. I certainly cannot guarantee the outcome, but I am happy to do what I can".

Or perhaps

"There ares many different options to choose from. Some are more expensive than others. Let me get some information together for you".

I could even see declaring that the tooth "cannot be saved" for various technical reasons and clearly explaining the reasons why. It does not sound like that happened, though.
    If Americans expended even a fraction of the energy on civic engagement that we spend on consumer ideology, our democracy would be much healthier. Can you imagine people camping out to vote? -- Charles Roberts, Amherst, Mass., Nov. 25, 2006

Quote Originally Posted by enota View Post
    One time I bit into an incredibly hard apple and damaged my tooth. It was loose. I went to a "dentist" (well respected, highly recommended). After a BATTERY of xrays (not ONE OF WHICH HE EVEN GLANCED AT), he said. "We'll have to remove it".

I said. UM.....no......I'd like to save the tooth.

He said. "It's not worth saving".

(thinking to myelf) Excuse me? Isn't this MY TOOTH we're talking about? I'd like to at least TRY to save it you bombastic bastard.

Or perhaps

Since I was not there, I can only make an educated guess. If biting into an apple damaged your tooth and made it loose, It sounds like it had some periodontal issues and if that was the case, the right thing to do was have the tooth extracted. And depending on what your bone level is, getting an implant may or may not have been an option.
    But you seem to know more than the Dentist, so carry on ....

Dentist took off some high spots and it is about half as sensitive. One more visit should do the trick. I am so happy

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    Dentist took off some high spots and it is about half as sensitive. One more visit should do the trick. I am so happy
    That's great ... It may take some time to settle down