Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dental X-rays

God, I love my dentist and his office staff. He is thorough but not alarmist. He gives us a 10% discount for cash payment. He is an ex military man who teaches both dentistry and firearms, he is an action man on a motorcycle. If we wish, we get a lecture about conservative politics, but that is only if we wish it. I opt for it since I like the infusion of conservative ideas into this city biosphere of blue, it cleans the air around here, haha.

I think there has been some real research on cell phones and brain cancer and so it's not all bad science pointing to a possible link there. I don't know about the dental xrays, other than ugh $300 at least every time I do them.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    I think there has been some real research on cell phones and brain cancer and so it's not all bad science pointing to a possible link there. I don't know about the dental xrays, other than ugh $300 at least every time I do them.
    Our xrays are no more than $120, actual pay around $100 or $110 with discount for cash.

My dental insurance always covers the x-rays in full.

Dental x-rays are useful - comparisons of current and previous x-rays are the easiest way to see changes. When I've had x-rays done, it was like a full set for the initial visit, but usually they just take bitewings on the molars for follow-ups.

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    I think there has been some real research on cell phones and brain cancer and so it's not all bad science pointing to a possible link there.
    The way I wrote my response implies that I believe all research around cell phones and brains (cancer, low-level RF, etc.) is bad science. I could have worded that better to say that, among the studies which can be trusted are many more which are sponsored or which go for the sensational headline or which would be far less sensational if the study's assumptions and limitations were publicized along with the eye- (or ear-) grabbing headline. IMHO this kind of labeling is right up there with the state of California wanting to label coffee a carcinogen or with the people who believed that green magic marker applied to the perimeter of a CD made it sound better.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

ANM, maybe your dental exrays are a full set, and our annual xrays are two images only. That could account for a price difference.

It's more than two, probably 6-10 every 2 years they push it but I procrastinate it so it's usually more like every 3 years. And they always try to sell me even more xrays, as if I absolutely need 25 xrays of my mouth or something and I always say I can't afford it (I don't think it's worth it at any rate).
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Regarding upselling by dentists: I'm very lucky because my dentist is the only dentist I know who discourages me from some dental procedures. I went in with a toothache on both my upper and lower left and was so worried that I had two root canals coming. He looked and said, "it's just a sinus infection. Take a Sudafed." Sure enough, it went away in a day or two.

Another time I asked him if he could whiten my teeth and he said, "Ahh, just go to CVS and get the kit. They work just as good."

I've been with him for decades. He also cured me of my dentist-phobia.

As for the radiation in X-rays, boss mare, you bring up a good point. I was reading The Better Brain and Perlmutter said that you shouldn't sleep with your cell phone closer than 3 feet from your head. You also shouldn't carry your phone around with you on your person for a long time during the day. And if you talk on the phone for more than a few minutes you should always use earbuds. Does anyone here have any thoughts or concerns about our chronic use of cell phones?
    Along with being in the dental field forever, before that I was dating a equine veterinarian and I would come out and help him on occasions and that would mean sometimes helping with x-rays. So between that and my quasi addiction to my smart phone ( I do sleep with my cell phone as my parents are older and have needed help late at night) I should be glowing in the dark by now LOL ( I am nearly 57 )

There are several types of X-Rays : bite wings, those are two ( one on each side) or two ( two on each side ) depending on the type of view (horizontal or vertical). They will show bicuspid to molars. These are for detecting decay and pretty much just show the teeth themselves from the gum lime to the top of the chewing surfaces. These are recommended once a year.
    Next are full mouth . these will be about 20 or so ( depending on the x ray unit ) they consist of the four bite wings and 16 or so periapicals. those show the roots of the teeth and are used for detecting/monitoring bone loss and to see if there is any abscesses. Those are recommended every 3 years, unless there is something that is being monitored. If you have a toothache, a singlar periapical is what they will probably take so they can see if there is an abscess or other issues ( like a sinus infection that can mimic a toothache, like another poster said)
    Then there are panoramic films. this is one large film. The X ray film is outside of your mouth and the x ray machine goes around your face left to right while you bite in a small plastic stick. This is recommended every 5-8 years or as needed for oral surgery and is used more frequently in orthodontics, especially children to see the progression of adult teeth that may or may not be developing like wisdom teeth and the like)
    These are just guide lines and of course, your mileage may vary

Thread Information