Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Help: What would you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    We went through something similar with out big old dog and he ended up on a bland diet for life. Working for the past year.
    Thanks for the encouraging word. I'm hoping that's all it will be.

Steve, I do think she's a little uncomfortable, but to your point, I would much rather have our vet see her. Tomorrow will be here soon enough.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

When we first got dogs 13 years ago I would run to the emergency vet for every little thing. Then I realized nothing was usually wrong that couldn't wait a day and my pocket book was much leaner)

We used to go to our local small town vet and it was a huge mistake. So now we go to the city about 20 miles from here. They are extremely competent. the only problem being is that they suggest everything, and that can get quite expensive. Also, our dog totally freaks out the entire way there. I swear she's going to have a heart attack. One thing I've noticed is that animals withdraw when they have pain or are sick. they don't necessarily show it. It's a survival thing. So sometimes it's hard to figure out exactly what's going on.

Let us know what the vet says Catherine. We're taking our dog this week too. She is 14, but seems to have suddenly lost a lot of her hearing.

What Would You Do Part II.

Unfortunately it seems my dog has Stage 3, on the cusp of 4, kidney disease. She is at the vet now. She hasn't been able to urinate or defecate for the past 24 hours. They're doing an ultrasound today at 1pm. I'm hoping for the best, but expecting the worst. The kicker is, she's pretty "with it" at the moment--in fact she was barking loudly so they asked me if they could give her a sedative.

Based on my experience with the last dog I had, in which DH and I made the foolish decision to drag his life on to the end, I'm determined to make a wiser decision, which will be based on the possible outcome of her disease weighed against her quality of life. But I'm reading about home IV fluids, and diets, etc., and wonder if anyone has had any success in providing a dog with kidney disease with a reasonable quality of life for a few months or years with treatment.

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post

Unfortunately it seems my dog has Stage 3, on the cusp of 4, kidney disease. She is at the vet now. She hasn't been able to urinate or defecate for the past 24 hours. They're doing an ultrasound today at 1pm. I'm hoping for the best, but expecting the worst. The kicker is, she's pretty "with it" at the moment--in fact she was barking loudly so they asked me if they could give her a sedative.

Based on my experience with the last dog I had, in which DH and I made the foolish decision to drag his life on to the end, I'm determined to make a wiser decision, which will be based on the possible outcome of her disease weighed against her quality of life. But I'm reading about home IV fluids, and diets, etc., and wonder if anyone has had any success in providing a dog with kidney disease with a reasonable quality of life for a few months or years with treatment.

Kidney disease is common in cats, and I know people who have kept their cats alive with fluid treatments. Certainly, a change in diet is easy to do with the kidney formula foods, but at this late stage I wonder if that is useful.

We currently have a 16 year old cat who has probably entered kidney disease territory. She is eating normally, but she lays in front of the water dish all the time. She lost weight last summer, but gained some back and is still fat, and as always with her, sedentary. I do not plan to treat any kidney disease.

yes, dont drag it on for her.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post

Oh Catherine, I am so sorry. When I had a dog with this, we let her go--she was 9, I think, a golden retriever.

I am so sorry for your dear doggie.

Catherine, sorry the news wasn't better. I would rather say goodbye while she is still feeling ok than to drag it out. That's great that she felt good enough to complain loudly, so much so that they asked to calm her down with a sedative.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

My best friend had a dog with kidney disease that advanced very quickly. In the last 2 months or so, she tried to give sub-q fluids. She thought it would be easier, as she had give fluids to cats several times. She said it was difficult, and the vet tech concurred that it's harder to do with dogs than cats. Then poor dog developed IMHA (blood disease that kills own blood cells). When the vet said she could probably keep her going for another week or two, my friend said no.

Catherine, so sorry its not better news.

Williamsmith
    My Golden suddenly became immobile and listless. I figured another trip to the vet, another big bill and another recovery. The vet came out with a sad look on her face and reported that it was a rather terminal situation with reduced quality of life for here on out. Kidney disease probably cancerous lesions. I admit my first thoughts were of me taking loving care of her and sharing a few more mutually loving moments of trying to comfort her in her pain.

The vet was good at explaining that for me to hold her in this condition by extraordinary intervention would be simply an act of selfishness on my part. It could be done but would prolong the ultimate outcome. I couldn’t see having the means to relieve her pain and refusing to do it. I loved her too much to do that to her. I also found being with her those last moments to be the most painful experience of my lifetime.

When she left, some of her pain transferred to me. I consider that to be my last act of kindness toward her.

I hope there are are better options for you. Theres no way another person can help you make this decision.

I'm am so sorry.

Thread Information