Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Help: What would you do?

We did look into aggressive treatment (chemo), but we have decided not to pursue that. It didn't make sense. She's an older dog (9), and the cancer she has turns out to be very aggressive (they say it's either hemangiosarcoma or histiolytic sarcoma). They are not recommending surgery, so that automatically impacts the prognosis. She has a tumor on both kidneys and her spleen. So, short story: she's F****d.

We have her on prednisone, and are watching her carefully. She's eating well, peeing and poo-ing normally. Sleeping fine. Walking and playing a bit. But, sadly, I don't believe she'll ever get to swim in Lake Champlain with us this summer. Such a shame--she was such an avid swimmer.

Thank you for your concern.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I'm so sorry. That's the big downside of companion animals. Whether we outlive them, or they outlive us--either way is a tragedy.

Oh, that is too bad to get this final diagnosis. But prednisone is a miracle drug for keeping tumors at bay for a bit, so you will have a little bit of time with her, and she will feel ok during that time.

Thanks, Jane and IL.

Yes, IL, the prednisone seems to be doing her good.

Jane, I've actually been thinking about you because I've actually put her on a kind of a keto diet! Why not. I'm not expecting a miracle, but why not do what you can do. I'm feeding her raw bones, ground beef, turkey and salmon, some veggies like broccoli and carrots, fish oil and chia seeds. Absolutely no grain. She loves this diet! Wolfing it down. So no matter what, she's enjoying her last meals.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Thanks, Jane and IL.

Yes, IL, the prednisone seems to be doing her good.

Jane, I've actually been thinking about you because I've actually put her on a kind of a keto diet! Why not. I'm not expecting a miracle, but why not do what you can do. I'm feeding her raw bones, ground beef, turkey and salmon, some veggies like broccoli and carrots, fish oil and chia seeds. Absolutely no grain. She loves this diet! Wolfing it down. So no matter what, she's enjoying her last meals.
    well, prednisone increases appetie and thirst, but what dog wouldnt like that stuff anyway, true.

I am glad to hear she is eating well and acting normal--I just put my terrier on hemp oil pills; maybe try that on the "it can't hurt and it might help" principle:

https://www.amazon.com/Manitoba-Harv...hemp+oil&psc=1

True--I agree, but the funny thing is she went completely off the diet she used to have, which was the normal "whatever's-on-sale dog food diet." She turned up her nose at everything, eating NOTHING, which was one of the main reasons we took her to the vet.

She still will not eat the kibbles, but she does eat the new diet, and we started it before we started the prednisone, so go figure.

A friend of mine treated cancer in his 6 yo lab because his vet talked him into it. A year later the dog was dead and he was 10k poorer.

My dog succumbed yesterday. She was doing OK--I was filling out a Quality-of-Life scorecard for her every day. 35-70 points--the dog has acceptable quality of life; under 35, it's unacceptable. She was getting above 35 points.

Until Sunday when she clearly seemed to be going downhill. She could go outside and pee and poo on her own, but it was getting hard for her to master the one step to get back in the house. The light had gone from her eyes.

So Monday we determined would be the day. I called the vet to find out what next steps are. Then I had an interview postponed to later in the day, so by the time the day was done work-wise, the vet was close to closing time. But did I, in fact, wimp out? Yes. I wanted one more night with her.

I will pay for that night I selfishly stole from her because by Tuesday, it was clear it was over. She couldn't even lower herself easily to go from standing to lying down. I had interviews and DH had appointments, but at 3:30 we called the vet and told them we would be bringing her in.

She was able to make it into the car after DH pulled up the back seat. But it was hard for her to get out of the car. It was hard for her walk at all. We were just trying to get her up the ramp to the vet, when I saw she just couldn't go any father. I sent DH in to get help carrying her, and while he was in there getting help, she let out a wail/howl I'll never forget and she collapsed on the ramp. This was not the gentle, soft, leave-taking I was hoping for. In fact it was a cruel end for her. If we had only taken her in on Monday, she may have had more deserving end to her life.

This is just me baring my soul in the confessional of my friends here. And it's also a vow that if I ever have another dog, the minute that light goes out in their eyes, it's time for me to put on my big girl panties and let the dog go.

Thanks for your words of support on this thread.

Williamsmith
    Give yourself some slack here. You were in the process of doing the right thing. You had no way of knowing how close the end was. You did good with a kind heart.

Thread Information