Thread: Clearing out

Clearing out

We started seriously decluttering in preparation for downsizing to a smaller house. I was having a difficult time, but I have been considering divorce for a long time and suddenly decluttering is becoming easier. It's almost like I don't want to take any of my previous life with me. Just the necessities. Has anyone else felt this way? I hope I don't get rid of too much and regret it.

Yes I only took the stuff that I liked and wanted.

I kept the necessities like the microwave and vacuum cleaner and let him have the TV. We both were happy.

Yup. Took my car (pre-marital property), personal memorabilia, and a few things in the house I really wanted, and left the rest (including the house).
    If Americans expended even a fraction of the energy on civic engagement that we spend on consumer ideology, our democracy would be much healthier. Can you imagine people camping out to vote? -- Charles Roberts, Amherst, Mass., Nov. 25, 2006

I am reading a book right now called Let It Go and it is one of the better books I have read on decluttering - especially the psychological aspects - loss, new starts, emotions etc. We downsized and moved - I haven't regretted getting rid of anything a year later other than some practical things that have been a hassle to replace.

Pinkytoe - Yes, you hit the nail on the head. The psychological aspects. Things are things but meanings get attached to them. I really don't want to take much of my old life with me. It hasn't been terrible, yet I really want a fresh start.

I did a big purge of stuff three years ago. It was a divorce of sorts. I divorced my four bedroom, two and half bath country ranch home I had been living in for 25 years and where my family was raised. I had a lot of emotional attachment to things there. My woodworking tools, my John Deere tractor, Honda ATV, monster snowblower, gardening tools, an abundance of clothing, an attic full of stuff I thought I’d need, a basement full of more stuff I thought I’d need, hunting and fishing gadgets, it seemed to go on and on.

A few things made the cut and they were something I had a real emotional connection with. I even had a storage unit for a few months after the move with things that I wasn’t sure I was ready to part with. But I even let go of them so I could release the storage unit from my budget.

Three years later of all the stuff only one thing I regret getting rid of....a stereo system that had a nice turntable. I would really like to play vinyl records. Having gone through thta, I am super sensitive to bringing things in without justifying them and removing a similar sized item. I don’t want to go through the purge again,