Thread: Clearing out

Clearing out

We started seriously decluttering in preparation for downsizing to a smaller house. I was having a difficult time, but I have been considering divorce for a long time and suddenly decluttering is becoming easier. It's almost like I don't want to take any of my previous life with me. Just the necessities. Has anyone else felt this way? I hope I don't get rid of too much and regret it.

Yes I only took the stuff that I liked and wanted.

Yppej
    I kept the necessities like the microwave and vacuum cleaner and let him have the TV. We both were happy.

Yup. Took my car (pre-marital property), personal memorabilia, and a few things in the house I really wanted, and left the rest (including the house).
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I am reading a book right now called Let It Go and it is one of the better books I have read on decluttering - especially the psychological aspects - loss, new starts, emotions etc. We downsized and moved - I haven't regretted getting rid of anything a year later other than some practical things that have been a hassle to replace.

Pinkytoe - Yes, you hit the nail on the head. The psychological aspects. Things are things but meanings get attached to them. I really don't want to take much of my old life with me. It hasn't been terrible, yet I really want a fresh start.

Williamsmith
    I did a big purge of stuff three years ago. It was a divorce of sorts. I divorced my four bedroom, two and half bath country ranch home I had been living in for 25 years and where my family was raised. I had a lot of emotional attachment to things there. My woodworking tools, my John Deere tractor, Honda ATV, monster snowblower, gardening tools, an abundance of clothing, an attic full of stuff I thought I’d need, a basement full of more stuff I thought I’d need, hunting and fishing gadgets, it seemed to go on and on.

A few things made the cut and they were something I had a real emotional connection with. I even had a storage unit for a few months after the move with things that I wasn’t sure I was ready to part with. But I even let go of them so I could release the storage unit from my budget.

Three years later of all the stuff only one thing I regret getting rid of....a stereo system that had a nice turntable. I would really like to play vinyl records. Having gone through thta, I am super sensitive to bringing things in without justifying them and removing a similar sized item. I don’t want to go through the purge again,

Thread Information