Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bae.......tsunami?

CathyA, I was in Anchorage at the time and it was even on my birthday. I can safely say that the earth can and does really roll under the feet and under anything else sitting on the ground. 5 minutes of incredible shaking, rolling and thunderous noise. The aftershocks were, if possible, even worse.

That's where our acquaintance was too! I think he was in the service at the time. Earthquakes are pretty incredible things. I guess everything in nature is! It must have been quite frightening to be in it!

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post

There is constant activity along the plates around the planet.
    Indeed. A quick look at the USGS website list of recent earthquakes shows dozens, if not hundreds, every day. They send me email anytime there's one over 3.0, but I had to limit my notifications to the western US not including alaska because I was getting obliterated by the emails...

Personally I hope we're either out of town or moved away before the next big one hits san francisco. I've felt several small ones since moving here 9 years ago (including last night at around 10pm) and the novelty has worn off.

Thread Information