Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sewing again, it's winter

Sewing again, it's winter

I started making my own bias tape. Seems to easy, matching and just one less thing to buy. I bought a bias tape maker off ebay, but actually found a needle on the iron board cover works better.

Next my projects have worked out and I am so pleased! I have made my favorite clothing item in a few styles and colors and fabrics. I love the long dress hoodie styles. I actually never worked with a French Terry Knit, suer easy and forgiving fabric.

I have found some great help sites on line and youtube. Fabric.com too.

Digital Patterns, your thoughts? Are they better? I am thinking easy fast way to get pattern to me at my 4am shopping online, but the ink amount needed I cringe at. I am a Don't use printer unless really needed as I hate buying ink lady.

Funny but me stepping into a place like Joanne Fabics brings back the terrible memories of sitting waiting nothing to do at 8 years old for Mom to shop for fabric and then the pinning event! So online is great for me.

Quote Originally Posted by BikingLady View Post
    I started making my own bias tape. Seems to easy, matching and just one less thing to buy. I bought a bias tape maker off ebay, but actually found a needle on the iron board cover works better.

Next my projects have worked out and I am so pleased! I have made my favorite clothing item in a few styles and colors and fabrics. I love the long dress hoodie styles. I actually never worked with a French Terry Knit, suer easy and forgiving fabric.

I have found some great help sites on line and youtube. Fabric.com too.

Digital Patterns, your thoughts? Are they better? I am thinking easy fast way to get pattern to me at my 4am shopping online, but the ink amount needed I cringe at. I am a Don't use printer unless really needed as I hate buying ink lady.

Funny but me stepping into a place like Joanne Fabics brings back the terrible memories of sitting waiting nothing to do at 8 years old for Mom to shop for fabric and then the pinning event! So online is great for me.
    I had forgotten that part of childhood, standing around getting things pinned. Wow. Lots of hemming with a lock stitch hem.

Can you share a good source of online patterns that you like? I want to start sewing for my granddaughters. Let them stand around for hemming, haha.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Not a garment but my latest sewing project. Currently 66” square. Getting there. These are Farmers wife blocks in a set I made up

Attached Images Attached Images

Oh, Flowers, how gorgeous!
    Bikinglady, can you put in a picture of one of the hoodie dresses? that sounds so neat and practical.

Lovely, intricate quilt!

I'm enthralled with the idea of sewing--to the extent that I drool over machines and have been known to haunt fabric stores. The reality of it, not so much. I envy anyone who can sit down and sew up a wearable garment.

Patterns I have been watching Butterick/McCalls/Vouge for sales on patterns. Indiesew.com I got a couple I am waiting on in the mail. wwwearables.com I have gotten a few good tips like needle sizes and tension. Pics I will post soon. Flowers love the quilt! that takes talent.

I so want to be a seamstress and make wonderful outfits, I however am just an easy sew lady. OK the pull on pants first winter project, pockets in backwards First top would fit someone three times my size. Next top is pretty, I just have to pointy of darts. SO I was thrill to accomplish the Hoodies!

Oh yes all those pinning evenings in the summer as Mom was getting school clothes ready for me. Too funny I remember thinking why do I have to have the same shirt in 4 colors! I know why now.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    Not a garment but my latest sewing project. Currently 66” square. Getting there. These are Farmers wife blocks in a set I made up

really pretty!

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Lovely, intricate quilt!

I'm enthralled with the idea of sewing--to the extent that I drool over machines and have been known to haunt fabric stores. The reality of it, not so much. I envy anyone who can sit down and sew up a wearable garment.
    I am going through an asperational crafting period where I have decided that I will embellish clothing. Make it
    fashionable, ya know? Because I am such a fashion leader. Haha.

So I bought 4 articles of clothng at Goodwill with the intent to merge them and end up with two items.

All intent, no action so far. I just need to hire an assistant to carry out my ideas. But lets be honest, my ideas are not original, I get them all from Pinterest.

But drop me off at Joanns Fabric store and pick me up two hours later. I can SO kill hours in the fabric shop. One thing I do like about floral design competitins is that one can incorporate fabric and no is sewing required. I have made seveal “napkins” for table settings where the fabric edges are ironed, not sewn, and no one is the wiser.

Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information