Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sewing again, it's winter

Still sewing up a storm and each project has improved my skills. I am amazed with myself. I usually loose focus, interest and get mad at the results. This time I am using seam ripper and re sewing if something is not right. Yesterday a pair of sweat pants that are fitted more like leggings with small pleats. I was thrilled with the results. Headbands I whipped through 4 fast. I am supper pleased with the style and fit of these and the using up of scrap fabrics!

Today is buttonholes with the machine which I am now realizing has a problem and it is not my skill. Error shows on screen, I have watched every youtube and read the sites on help. I believe an adjustment is needed. Then buttons everywhere !

Mom's 1950 Singer, I have the old girl in the shop now getting a complete service. I am so excited to be sewing on it soon! It has so many attachments I am almost giddy about it I have watched every youtube on all the feet. This really has been so exciting for me. I have stopped sewing up a storm and am now focusing on hems and techniques. My Janome I do not have multi attachments for, so when the Singer comes back I will have a better practice happening.

Funny how when I start a hobby or interested in a topic and searching the net, I find so many others doing the same thing. It is so helpful and everyone loves to give tips. I found a lady's site who treadles and the sewing machine companies still make them, how fun.

You are having fun exploring creatively. That is the best kind of fun!
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by BikingLady View Post
    I started making my own bias tape. Seems to easy, matching and just one less thing to buy. I bought a bias tape maker off ebay, but actually found a needle on the iron board cover works better.

Next my projects have worked out and I am so pleased! I have made my favorite clothing item in a few styles and colors and fabrics. I love the long dress hoodie styles. I actually never worked with a French Terry Knit, suer easy and forgiving fabric.

I have found some great help sites on line and youtube. Fabric.com too.

Digital Patterns, your thoughts? Are they better? I am thinking easy fast way to get pattern to me at my 4am shopping online, but the ink amount needed I cringe at. I am a Don't use printer unless really needed as I hate buying ink lady.

Funny but me stepping into a place like Joanne Fabics brings back the terrible memories of sitting waiting nothing to do at 8 years old for Mom to shop for fabric and then the pinning event! So online is great for me.
    I love JoAnnS and laughed about your comment of bringing back your memories of being 8 years old. For me it is the tile store, seemed like my parents were forever visiting the tile store and
    I sat around being bored there.

But fabric stores I love. I could spend hours in JoAnns and was just there last week. There are rows and rows of that fleece fabric andI wonder what people use that for?

I shop for fabric for flower show competitions. I buy little bits of fabric to iron into napkin -like pieces and table runner like pieces. I dont even need to sew them since the are for display only. Flower shows allow me to indulge my addiction of fabric and dinnerware.

I know! All that Fleece, what for? I bet the flower shows are great. I tried cat shows about 15 years ago, whoa that was to for me.

I just discovered Tina Givens pattern page: http://www.sewtinagivens.com/sewing-patterns

I have no idea if her patterns are well-drafted, but oh, what lovely designs!

Fleece, well most people make simple throws with tied or braided edges. Or raggy quilts. I make cat toys out of fleece. It can also be used to back a quilt. Some people sew it into vests or such.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I just discovered Tina Givens pattern page: http://www.sewtinagivens.com/sewing-patterns

I have no idea if her patterns are well-drafted, but oh, what lovely designs!
    Lovely. Are you familiar with Aprilcornell.com ? this looks like her catalog line of clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by BikingLady View Post
    Lovely. Are you familiar with Aprilcornell.com ? this looks like her catalog line of clothes.
    I wasn't, but I looked them up--some nice pieces there. Hope they turn up at the thrifts...

I have purchased a couple fo the aprilcornell's pieces. They are pretty, but far over priced, mine all from the clearance sections. I like more fitted clothes but there have been so many long tunic type shirts the last year and I fell into that. I am thinking of some way of making the tunics more fitted other than with a belt.

Thread Information