Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sewing again, it's winter

Still sewing up a storm and each project has improved my skills. I am amazed with myself. I usually loose focus, interest and get mad at the results. This time I am using seam ripper and re sewing if something is not right. Yesterday a pair of sweat pants that are fitted more like leggings with small pleats. I was thrilled with the results. Headbands I whipped through 4 fast. I am supper pleased with the style and fit of these and the using up of scrap fabrics!

Today is buttonholes with the machine which I am now realizing has a problem and it is not my skill. Error shows on screen, I have watched every youtube and read the sites on help. I believe an adjustment is needed. Then buttons everywhere !

Mom's 1950 Singer, I have the old girl in the shop now getting a complete service. I am so excited to be sewing on it soon! It has so many attachments I am almost giddy about it I have watched every youtube on all the feet. This really has been so exciting for me. I have stopped sewing up a storm and am now focusing on hems and techniques. My Janome I do not have multi attachments for, so when the Singer comes back I will have a better practice happening.

Funny how when I start a hobby or interested in a topic and searching the net, I find so many others doing the same thing. It is so helpful and everyone loves to give tips. I found a lady's site who treadles and the sewing machine companies still make them, how fun.

You are having fun exploring creatively. That is the best kind of fun!
    Gandhi: Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony .

Quote Originally Posted by BikingLady View Post
    I started making my own bias tape. Seems to easy, matching and just one less thing to buy. I bought a bias tape maker off ebay, but actually found a needle on the iron board cover works better.

Next my projects have worked out and I am so pleased! I have made my favorite clothing item in a few styles and colors and fabrics. I love the long dress hoodie styles. I actually never worked with a French Terry Knit, suer easy and forgiving fabric.

I have found some great help sites on line and youtube. Fabric.com too.

Digital Patterns, your thoughts? Are they better? I am thinking easy fast way to get pattern to me at my 4am shopping online, but the ink amount needed I cringe at. I am a Don't use printer unless really needed as I hate buying ink lady.

Funny but me stepping into a place like Joanne Fabics brings back the terrible memories of sitting waiting nothing to do at 8 years old for Mom to shop for fabric and then the pinning event! So online is great for me.
    I love JoAnnS and laughed about your comment of bringing back your memories of being 8 years old. For me it is the tile store, seemed like my parents were forever visiting the tile store and
    I sat around being bored there.

But fabric stores I love. I could spend hours in JoAnns and was just there last week. There are rows and rows of that fleece fabric andI wonder what people use that for?

I shop for fabric for flower show competitions. I buy little bits of fabric to iron into napkin -like pieces and table runner like pieces. I dont even need to sew them since the are for display only. Flower shows allow me to indulge my addiction of fabric and dinnerware.

I know! All that Fleece, what for? I bet the flower shows are great. I tried cat shows about 15 years ago, whoa that was to for me.

I just discovered Tina Givens pattern page: http://www.sewtinagivens.com/sewing-patterns

I have no idea if her patterns are well-drafted, but oh, what lovely designs!

Fleece, well most people make simple throws with tied or braided edges. Or raggy quilts. I make cat toys out of fleece. It can also be used to back a quilt. Some people sew it into vests or such.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I just discovered Tina Givens pattern page: http://www.sewtinagivens.com/sewing-patterns

I have no idea if her patterns are well-drafted, but oh, what lovely designs!
    Lovely. Are you familiar with Aprilcornell.com ? this looks like her catalog line of clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by BikingLady View Post
    Lovely. Are you familiar with Aprilcornell.com ? this looks like her catalog line of clothes.
    I wasn't, but I looked them up--some nice pieces there. Hope they turn up at the thrifts...

I have purchased a couple fo the aprilcornell's pieces. They are pretty, but far over priced, mine all from the clearance sections. I like more fitted clothes but there have been so many long tunic type shirts the last year and I fell into that. I am thinking of some way of making the tunics more fitted other than with a belt.