Page 27 of 40 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: What TV Shows Are You Watching?

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I'm deep into Season 4 of The Crown, and I am hooked. I know that there is a LOT of fiction woven in, but Olivia Colman has given me a Queen that I am totally sympathetic toward. The other characters are really interesting as well.
    season 4 is decent.

A more sophisticated, polished looking actress plays Diana in subsequent seasons, which I welcome.

That bit about The Princess of Wales performing a song from Phantom of the Opera in a London theatre is likely bogus. Back in the day I read every Diana book there was, and this was never mentioned. Those who would know said it didnt happen.

I think Major Hewitt is getting shortchanged with very few scenes. She honestly loved him. Unlike most portrayed in this series, the real life Hewitt probably wants his story told. He profits from it.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    season 4 is decent.

A more sophisticated, polished looking actress plays Diana in subsequent seasons, which I welcome.

That bit about The Princess of Wales performing a song from Phantom of the Opera in a London theatre is likely bogus. Back in the day I read every Diana book there was, and this was never mentioned. Those who would know said it didnt happen.

I think Major Hewitt is getting shortchanged with very few scenes. She honestly loved him. Unlike most portrayed in this series, the real life Hewitt probably wants his story told. He profits from it.
    I agree that the "other" Diana will probably be an improvement. I'm not all that impressed with the young version. She seems to make Diana too much into a caricature, whereas the other actors do a good job of capturing voice patterns, mannerisms etc without looking like they're trying to impersonate. Philip is great, as is the Queen.

I'm constantly researching on the internet to separate out fact from fiction--there is a lot I was not aware of. I forgot about the guy who broke into the Queen's bedroom. I really didn't know what much about Princess Margaret.

I hear the Royal Family has not watched it, which is understandable, but I understand the concept, and relevance, of the monarchy much better now.

BTW, Thatcher is also a strange but compelling person as portrayed in the series.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I agree that the "other" Diana will probably be an improvement. I'm not all that impressed with the young version. She seems to make Diana too much into a caricature, whereas the other actors do a good job of capturing voice patterns, mannerisms etc without looking like they're trying to impersonate. Philip is great, as is the Queen.

I'm constantly researching on the internet to separate out fact from fiction--there is a lot I was not aware of. I forgot about the guy who broke into the Queen's bedroom. I really didn't know what much about Princess Margaret.

I hear the Royal Family has not watched it, which is understandable, but I understand the concept, and relevance, of the monarchy much better now.

BTW, Thatcher is also a strange but compelling person as portrayed in the series.
    I interviewed a man for a security manager job at the library where I worked.He was on the Security detail at Buckingham Palace when that incident occurred. I didnt quiz him too much about it because it would’ve been all about me and my obsession with the monarchy, but I always thought that was such a weird thing that landed in my office, that interview.

Gillian Anderson is breathtaking in this role as Margaret Thatcher.

I’m watching HBO’s The Vow about cult-like NXIVM and bad guy Keith Reneire.

I listened to Canadian broadcast’s .company’s multi episode podcast about the organization and it’s downfall. I should have skipped it and gone directly to the tv piece.

I am having a hard time feeling sorry for all of these privileged, pretty, self centered white people who are so convinced they can make the world a better place.They can improve society because they are that important.

All they seem to have done is to ride the coattails of the Harvey .Weinstein scandal and tag their problems MeToo, and they use up a crap ton of law enforcement resources. This is white privilege playing out.

The cult leader, Keith, was convicted of sex crimes and other crimes and will serve a 120 year sentence. He * IS* a bad guy and may have even killed people. But Oy vey, the way the sheeple walk into his lair... even the Dali Llahma met with Keith.

edited to add: this tv documentary did not get any better. Greatly in need of editing. Disorganized. Drawn out unnecessarily.

Just what I wanted to throw my shoe at the 4 defectors for being such victims, Nippy framed his take away of their role. He said “our “arrogance, pride, and the sanctimonious nature of how we went about [NXIVM business] “ is what they should feel,guilty about. Bingo.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 12-25-20 at 6:03pm.

Our downstairs TV does not get broadcast channels at the moment so DD and I only watch DVDs we own, or get from the library. We can stream Acorn for free on the computer, when needed, lol. We just finished seasons 1-3 of Shetland, and the entirety of Fleabag. We've watched the first 3 seasons of the Crown and are on the library list for season 4. We are easily entertained...

Yppej
    This Week with George Stephanopoulos
    Meet the Press

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    This Week with George Stephanopoulos
    Meet the Press
    My TV is mostly of the news variety likewise.

Wondering if anyone caught "Elizabeth Is Missing," starring Glenda Jackson, on PBS the other night. She was riveting. The movie was difficult to watch at times, but I couldn't not watch.

I subsequently read an interview with her---didn't realize she had served in Parliament.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    Wondering if anyone caught "Elizabeth Is Missing," starring Glenda Jackson, on PBS the other night. She was riveting. The movie was difficult to watch at times, but I couldn't not watch.

I subsequently read an interview with her---didn't realize she had served in Parliament.
    What was that about? Is it on Netflix Or prime?

I dipped into the Bridgerton series and left after 10 minutes because it was weird. The tone is off. So I had to read up about it and find that it’s not intended to be a traditional costume drama. I would call it a Regency light comedy.

it is interesting how some of these new streaming shows have great creativity and they experiment with what I think of as traditional categories. I’m an old fashion girl in that I like my dramas to be dramas and my comedies to be comedies. On the other hand, I deeply respect and enjoy a black comedy. Often those look like dramas and frankly it’s hard to tell what side of the coin some of those are on.

But one of the new age/ new tone productions is Killing Eve. It’s a serious subject, a hit man ( a woman) and her victims. But it’s done in high style.The plot twists are a bit comedic. Well then, speaking of hit men , there’s the streaming show with Bill Hader, cannot think of its name. But that’s pretty clearly a comedy. It had one episode about a little girl that was tonally different from the rest of the show. Some fans hated it. I loved it.

Tone is key.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    What was that about? Is it on Netflix Or prime?

I dipped into the Bridgerton series and left after 10 minutes because it was weird. The tone is off. So I had to read up about it and find that it’s not intended to be a traditional costume drama. I would call it a Regency light comedy.

it is interesting how some of these new streaming shows have great creativity and they experiment with what I think of as traditional categories. I’m an old fashion girl in that I like my dramas to be dramas and my comedies to be comedies. On the other hand, I deeply respect and enjoy a black comedy. Often those look like dramas and frankly it’s hard to tell what side of the coin some of those are on.

But one of the new age/ new tone productions is Killing Eve. It’s a serious subject, a hit man ( a woman) and her victims. But it’s done in high style.The plot twists are a bit comedic. Well then, speaking of hit men , there’s the streaming show with Bill Hader, cannot think of its name. But that’s pretty clearly a comedy. It had one episode about a little girl that was tonally different from the rest of the show. Some fans hated it. I loved it.

Tone is key.
    As I said, it was on PBS, Masterpiece Theater specifically. It was a one-off, not a series. It was about a woman (Jackson) living with dementia who believes her friend Elizabeth is missing. The story is intertwined with her memories of a missing sister.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Thread Information