Page 32 of 40 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: What TV Shows Are You Watching?

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    Hasn't your idiot box been to Roku school?

I think even streaming service productions are under pressure for quantity over quality. Computer enhanced graphics instead of exotic locations or period reproduction, fewer known actors in the cast and fewer stand ins or extras, film manipulations to darken scenes so that details are hidden, and rushed writing and productions to satisfy demand. Of course there are a few good things out there, but like you say, it takes some effort to sort out the junk. And the mediocre streaming services have robbed network TV of what ever acting and writing quality there once was when there were just three TV networks.

A deal breaker for me are the commercials for medicines and lawyers. I think I may have read that those types of commercials are banned in some civilized countries.
    haha!

No, we had a fire stick some years ago but never really got into that use of that TV set.

I watch everything on an iPad mini. That is unfortunate for large scale scenary such as in the film Nomadland, But I’m so used to a tiny screen now that it doesn’t bother me.

I am planning on installing a television in the extra upstairs bedroom in Hermann, not my bedroom. And then we will have a downstairs TV room. There will be no TVs in the public rooms I spend time in such as the living room, sunroom, or kitchen.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 9-19-21 at 9:44am.

So, right now I just happened upon Money Court with Mr. Wonderful Kevin O'Leary. It seems pretty good, but I haven't even seen a whole episode yet. Kind of People's Court meets The Dave Ramsey Show.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I binged “Lula Rich “A four part documentary about the LulaRoe clothing company that was mostly multi level marketing. Pretty entertaining.

It starts out as they all do with encouraging people who want a “home-based business” and those people have to pony up a few thousand dollars to buy product and then those same people have to constantly be recruiting new sales people to run their own homebased businesses so that everyone in the upline gets a cut.

The production quantity is astonishing. This documentary interviews one of the graphic designers. Her quota was, get this: 100 Prints a day. She had to come up with 100 designs every day that she went to work. Good god.

LulaRoe operated on the idea that their prints were many and varied and no sales person got to choose which print came in their order, and prints were quickly retired encouraging a scarcity mindset. Pretty smart.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    LulaRoe operated on the idea that their prints were many and varied and no sales person got to choose which print came in their order, and prints were quickly retired encouraging a scarcity mindset. Pretty smart.
    LulaRoe became the bane of my very existence for several years. My wife never got caught up in the multi-level marketing aspect of their business but several other teachers she worked with did. My problem with them was the sheer quantity of product available to those women like my wife who simply loved the leggings and their associated tops. My wife bought from her friends and accumulated something over 100 pair of leggings and at least 20 tops to go along with them. She calls them Garanimals for adults.

Of course it was partly my fault because I can distinctly remember the first time seeing her in a pair of their leggings. I recall telling her "Hey, you look pretty hot in those, you should wear them more often", which of course she did. She also found them practical due to her working with special needs kids and the amount of time she spends on the floor with them or pulling them out from under tables, etc., and being told she looks nice in them may have sealed that deal.

I'm really glad that trend seems to have slowed considerably, but I'm also sort of happy about the fact that she can now look hot around the house for a lifetime without ever needing to buy another pair.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Awww, That is nice that your wife looks cute in her leggings!

I just finished watching HACKS with Jean Smart on HBO. It’s about an aging comedian in Las Vegas whose career is coming to an end, and her people pair her up with a young writer to bring some life into her comedy material.

That actress is gorgeous at age 70. It helps to be tall and slender but boy does she look good in clothes and she’s got cheekbones out for miles. If she has had “work done” then it is nothing major beyond some Botox in a few key areas. I suppose maybe eye lift here and there. All I know is I’m seeing so much bad cosmetic surgery she has not had that bad stuff.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 9-19-21 at 9:46am.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Well, yes, you have to turn on subtitles.
    am now watching two productions from the Middle East on Amazon Prime, suggested to me because I watched Shitisel.

Once Amazon Prime is on to your tastes, they do a pretty good job at offering up titles buried in their catalog.

one is tv limited series The Harem about a cult faith leader in Israel. A great family drama, my favorite genre of dramas.

The other is a film In Syria, difficult to watch.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 9-20-21 at 4:43pm.

DH and I watched POMS on Netflix this past weekend. Diane Keaton is a single woman who sells all her stuff and moves to a fancy-schmancy retirement community in Georgia. She has cancer, but has decided not to treat it. One of the rules of the community is each resident must join 3 clubs. They can also start one. She and a neighbor decide to start a cheer club because Diane's character, Martha, had made the squad in high school, but had to quit to take care of her mother. I enjoyed seeing Rhea Perlman in it.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

New family obsession, "Only Murders in the Building" with Steve Martin, Martin Short and Selena Gomez. Excellent Murder Mystery series, just got picked up for
    a second season. It is on Hulu. Very well written, funny and has everyone on the family text chat a buzz after each show trying to put all the pieces together!

We got sucked into Dancing with the "Stars" last night. ugh, I want the old hosts back, I watched some of it and finally just went to bed.

Have been watching the Ken Burns doc on Muhammad Ali. Insightful.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Thread Information