Page 6 of 40 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: What TV Shows Are You Watching?

There is a new production of Vanity Fair based on William Thackarey’s novel of the same name. Set in 1815 England, it is a comedy of manners about a poor young girl with street smarts who sets out to climb high in society. It was recently released by Netflix, and I can get it thru Prime subscription.

The casting is good but for the William Dobbin character, they missed the mark. Also, he is not getting appropriate screen time and since he is the moral center of the work, it is not true to the book. But the actress playing Becky Sharpe is good. Sir Pitt is hilarious. Rawden and George look just like we imagine them to look. josh Sedley is over the top ridiculous.

This book is in my top 10 novels of all time, so I am critical of all productions on video or film. The British tv versioj with Natasha Little made many years ago was excellent. The film with Reese Witherspoon was, well, ok.

Dobbin would be hard--maybe the actor who plays Tim McGee on NCIS? Someone earnest and a little blocky.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Dobbin would be hard--maybe the actor who plays Tim McGee on NCIS? Someone earnest and a little blocky.
    i looked up that actor and yes, he seems to have the right face for it. I forget how he talks since it has been years since I watched an NCIS episode.

I started binge watching The Manifest and got a bit hooked but am now waiting for more new episodes. I'm hoping it's not a big let down like Lost was towards the end. Looking back now, discussing Lost and coming up with theories was more fun than watching it.

Quote Originally Posted by pony mom View Post
    I started binge watching The Manifest and got a bit hooked but am now waiting for more new episodes. I'm hoping it's not a big let down like Lost was towards the end. Looking back now, discussing Lost and coming up with theories was more fun than watching it.
    Lost was a crazy fun ride.

We love Manifest.

Love Vanity Fair--"reread" it (via audiobook) not long ago.

I thought the Reese Witherspoon movie was awful. Saw it on a plane, which made it even worse.

I have Amazon Prime, so I'll be on the lookout for the new version.

Ah! Vanitas Vanitatum! which of us is happy in this world? Which of us has his desire? or, having it, is satisfied?

I ran into an Italian version of Anna Karenina. Beautiful beautiful actors, wonderful sets, and they are speaking English. I don’t understand why these Italians are speaking English but I don’t mind it, it is lovely. This production is in two parts and it was made in 2013. It is really beautiful, I want to emphasize that, So I guess the cinematography is top notch.

There are many many versions of Anna Karenina. I may work my way through more of them.on Amazon prime.

Just finished the first season of Happy! on Netflix. A little girl falls into the hands of traffickers, so her imaginary friend naturally goes to her degenerate contract killer father for help. I can’t wait for season two.

I am hardly watching anything but The Last Alaskans, or Mountain Men. For some reason I can't get enough of watching them---they're so interesting. Talk about self-sufficient, hard-working, and resourceful! Last night after watching about 3 hours of them, I realized how much I miss being outdoors. Need to get off my keister watching tv and get outside. No matter the weather. If they can do what they do, I can go out and work in my yard in the rain.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Thread Information