Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pileated Woodpeckers.........

Pileated Woodpeckers.........

Saw 2 of these outside my window yesterday. I don't get to see them very often. I used a telephoto lens to get this pic. The original was much darker, but a naturalist friend of mine said with the darker image, she couldn't see if it was male or female. I guess the "mustache" on the male is red and it's black on the female. Once I lightened it up, I could see it's mustache is red.

I suppose the only down side of having these birds around is that they create huge holes in live trees for their nests. But I would welcome them anyhow!

Pileated woodpecker cropped and zoomed and lightened IMG_2893.jpg

Their babies are amazingly cute when they stick their heads out of the cavity, waiting and watching for them to bring home something to eat.

I hope I can see that sometime!

We have seen them in our local woods in the past couple of years - so amazing! Thanks for sharing your photo!

We have them also.... So cool.... great photo!

We get Downy woodpeckers in our apple tree....it's always such a treat to see them! Thanks for sharing your photo!
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

A few years ago we had a pair take up residence in an oak tree in the back yard. I was amazed at the huge cavity they made and the fact that they made two perfectly round entrances. The local squirrels are enjoying the digs now.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Those are neat birds. We don't have them around here, but I've seen them in travels.

There are enough trees with woodpecker holes around here that they apparently are not uncommon. But I don't usually see them working on trees. However, a Nuttall's woodpecker spent time at our birdbath a few times two summers ago. Can't find the picture now (assuming I took one; they don't always stay long enough there for me to grab the camera). Beautiful.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Williamsmith
    We have them and I enjoy seeing them in the woods while hunting, walking, cutting wood. But I do not enjoy seeing them on the rare occasion they think they might find food beneath your wooden soffit. They are a magnificent bird though.

Thread Information