Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pileated Woodpeckers.........

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    We have them and I enjoy seeing them in the woods while hunting, walking, cutting wood. But I do not enjoy seeing them on the rare occasion they think they might find food beneath your wooden soffit. They are a magnificent bird though.
    Yeah, woodpeckers of all kinds love to find bugs in the wood siding of the house. My SIL was having major problems with that. She found that if she stopped putting out suet for them, they didn't bother her house so much! Our problems are more from carpenter bees.......but then the woodpeckers go after their larvae in the holes and make them much bigger.
    We also have tons of those mud tunnels from mud daubers on the house and the smaller birds love pecking into those. I guess everybody has to eat......

Aren't they fun. So big. We have two pair that hang out in our yard and the woods around our house. See them almost daily. We also have at the feeders on a regular basis the Red bellied, Red headed, Hairy, Downy, Flickers, and the Yellow Bellied Sad Sucker that visits in the winter. Woodpeckers are my favorite. We had a Downy crash into a window once that was stunned. My youngest was 5 at the time and wore him around on his shirt until it felt good enough to fly away.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Float On View Post
    Aren't they fun. So big. We have two pair that hang out in our yard and the woods around our house. See them almost daily. We also have at the feeders on a regular basis the Red bellied, Red headed, Hairy, Downy, Flickers, and the Yellow Bellied Sad Sucker that visits in the winter. Woodpeckers are my favorite. We had a Downy crash into a window once that was stunned. My youngest was 5 at the time and wore him around on his shirt until it felt good enough to fly away.
    That's cute Float On.....about your DS wearing the Downy on his shirt until it could fly away!
    Sometimes, when birds would hit my window and be stunned on the ground, I would put a chickenwire fence around them until they could fly.

Unfortunately, some that hit my windows didn't survive. But it did give me the chance to see some fairly uncommon birds up close......like a cuckoo, a woodcock and an oven bird.

Thread Information