Thread: Daniel Quinn died yesterday

Daniel Quinn died yesterday

Just saw that Daniel Quinn, notable author of Ishmael and many other great books, died yesterday. I read Ishmael years ago--I had a major shift in thinking about many things after reading it--most notably about the downside of agriculture. Just recently I read Beyond Civilization. He's one of my top 5 simple living "gurus." I'm grateful for his contribution.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Williamsmith
    I understanding his influence of critical thinking for sustainable living....I just don’t understand how his insight could actually result in any changes in the machine we all rely on ....totalitarian agriculture. Who’s going to give back their property, assets and life so the indigenous hunter gatherers can reclaim their niche?

Yeah, even he had no real answers, but at least he raised the questions. I think that's important, especially when we are so steeped in the current paradigm we truly don't believe there could be another way. Challenging us to think outside ourselves is a good start. The likelihood of our going back to small villages of hunter-gatherers seems extremely remote at best, but I think it's instructive to think about whether we as individuals and civilizations are "leavers" or "takers" and it's also instructive to think about and consider the collateral damage of agricultural society so that we can at least maybe work on mitigating it. As with all dysfunction, admitting we have a problem is Step 1.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

Williamsmith
    Well, then I’ll plant zucchini in his honor this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    Well, then I’ll plant zucchini in his honor this summer.
    Sounds good! Maybe I'll go to the zoo and chat up a gorilla.

Loved the whole Ishmael series. I actually credit them to my examining my faith and spirituality.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information