Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
We are both still working, and make more than the 16920 I think you can earn without it affecting benefits. IL--that rule about how much you earn is still there. Not sure what rule you are talking about--hours?

"For the year 2017, this limit on earned income is $16,920 ($1,410 per month). The amount goes up each year. If you are collecting Social Security retirement benefits before full retirement age, your benefits are reduced by $1 for every $2 you earn over the limit."

If and when we stop working, or are making less than 17k, we will stop. DH plans to work til 70 if he can stand it, both to get more money and to build up 401k. His dad lived to be 93 and he looks just like him, so probably he is in for a long haul.
My dad is 89 and my mom is 91. But the grandparent whose body I seem to have inherited died at 78, so I have always thought I would not make it as long, so maybe I will take earlier.

It's a really good question. right now, it is our safety net if we get fired, I guess.
Here is the change (below) I THiNK my friend and I were discussing some weeks ago.It doesnt apply to us in the age range of 62-65 ish, the age prior to Full Retirement Age, so what Teacher Terry said for her own situation is true. Of course,this is a random website which could be bogus info, but it was the first place I saw an actual date for this change in Social Security rule.

Joseph Alfonso

CFP®, RICP, ChFC, EA

As others have said the earnings test that limits how much earned income you can have before Social Security benefits are withheld (temporarily) no longer applies upon reaching full retirement age. The law was changed in 2000 to eliminate the earnings test after FRA.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/ask/quest...r-seventy-9609