Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 51

Thread: Facebook is watching you..........

  1. #41
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    2,142
    I do use my computer and phone for many things, but Facebook is not one of them. I deleted my account several years ago.
    Why does anyone continue to use it? I guess there are things I have had to opt out of because I don't use Facebook, so maybe that answers my own question--but I have taken to telling businesses/organizations that if I have to use Facebook, then I will be opting out.

    I frankly wonder why anyone would put up with Facebook. . .

  2. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4,159
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    I would call this something like a false equivalency. Just because you accept the form of technology we call the "campfire" does not mean you have to accept the form of technology called "neutron bombs."

    I don't suggest we reject all technology, just the parts that make life worse.

    And this is purely a philosophical discussion. Why?

    Because I know that humankind will keep speeding toward ecocide despite me "stand(ing) athwart history, yelling stop, at a time when no one is inclined to do so, or to have much patience with those who so urge it."

    See what I did there, LDAHL?
    No fair making me cry! I really miss that guy!

    Any technology can be abused, but that’s no reason to go Amish.

  3. #43
    Senior Member JaneV2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    9,041
    I use Facebook for its newsfeed and a couple of special interest groups. I deliberately have no FB friends. But I'm sure FB is collecting likes and dislikes. I could do without it, and may. But then you have smart TVs, phones, and their capabilities...

  4. #44
    Senior Member catherine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    VT/NJ
    Posts
    8,035
    Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post

    I frankly wonder why anyone would put up with Facebook. . .
    To reconnect with old friends (I have happily been able to keep in touch with some old friends that I NEVER would have been able to without Facebook)
    To see what's happening with current friends and family--I don't mind the pictures of trips, reunions, milestone events. I like them, and they usually make me smile.
    To share my own news (which I do extremely judiciously. For example, I posted about my dog dying, and was comforted by the response).
    To follow happenings and events relative to groups I follow (i.e., my local watershed organization, the master gardeners group, the Islander newspaper)
    To get inspiration from like-minded groups (i.e. Films for Action; Sustainable Human, Spiritual Ecology)
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

  5. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    3,325
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Idea: Delete your Facebook and get rid of your smart phone.

    Queue the technology apologetics... now!

    Don't have.
    Why pay, to be the product to begin with?
    Candy bar style phone, around $70 a year, privacy without having to change preferences any time they choose to revamp something on Facebook, priceless.

  6. #46
    Senior Member SteveinMN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Saint Paul, Minnesota
    Posts
    4,795
    Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Don't have.
    Why pay, to be the product to begin with?
    Candy bar style phone, around $70 a year, privacy without having to change preferences any time they choose to revamp something on Facebook, priceless.
    Because apparently people get more out of Facebook than they think it's costing them. Most people don't seem to be bothered by the lack of privacy (the [fallacious] "I've got nothing to hide" argument) and they're so used to being marketed to (on TV, on billboards, in movies, on grocery carts, on urinal walls,...) that the non-stop sell doesn't much bother them, either. At least with Facebook there's an easily identifiable product/benefit that comes from all the watching and selling -- pictures of grandkids and kitties and graduations and vacations, recipes, homemaking tips, affinity groups,...

    Seriously, anyone gettng their undies in a bunch about Facebook should stop using Google everything immediately. That's not happening either. Not that that defends Facebook's sloppy (and self-serving) practices with users. But Facebook is a long way away from the insidious surveillance that goes on all over, the vast majority of which (especially outside of social media) most people are totally unaware -- until that surveillance blows up publicly. Nothing you say on that candy bar phone is necessarily private, either. Just sayin'.

    The Cambridge Analytica episode has made me consider (again) how I use Facebook. I do find I'm using it less than I used to. But I just saw a tweet (damned social media!) about a software program in which I'd be quite interested and the announcement (beyond Twitter's message limit) was on ... the software publisher's Facebook page. And I do like being able to participate in family and friends' lives asynchronously. I'm not sure what it will take to delete my Fb account. But I haven't seen that yet, at least because I know that deleting Fb is far from the only thing I'd have to do to maintain more privacy.

    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL
    Any technology can be abused, but that’s no reason to go Amish.
    Once again, technology only enhances human behavior. Doesn't always make it better; it just magnifies it. Throwing one's Blackberry into a pond doesn't protect the thrower; it just poisons the fish and aquatic plants.
    If Americans expended even a fraction of the energy on civic engagement that we spend on consumer ideology, our democracy would be much healthier. Can you imagine people camping out to vote? -- Charles Roberts, Amherst, Mass., Nov. 25, 2006

  7. #47
    Senior Member jp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    3,718
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Idea: Delete your Facebook and get rid of your smart phone.

    Queue the technology apologetics... now!

    But facebook keeps a ‘shadow profile’ based on your contact info even if you’ve never signed up. I suppose you could go all unabomber or something, but is it really worth the effort?

  8. #48
    Junior Member Summer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    15
    I knew about it before signing up for Facebook, but I still did because everybody is on there and I didn't want to be left behind.
    “Salt in the air, sand in my hair.”

  9. #49
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    33
    If you use a smartphone or the internet, data of you is collected an analyzed. There is hardly anything you can do against it except going off grid.

  10. #50
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    2
    Very disturbing stuff. Thanks for sharing this info. The good news is that it seems laws to regulate this data gathering are on the horizon. In Europe they've already released a few laws to limit Facebook and Google's power.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •