Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 51

Thread: Facebook is watching you..........

  1. #1
    Senior Member CathyA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    8,496

    Facebook is watching you..........

    Big Brother has nothing over Facebook. I just saw on my Facebook page (which is mainly for relatives and is only visible to them), that some of the people Facebook has "suggested" I connect with, are my neighbors, who I don't even associate with. This means they must figure out where I live and cross reference with other people near this address. That's kinda spooky.

  2. #2
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    12,470
    Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    Big Brother has nothing over Facebook. I just saw on my Facebook page (which is mainly for relatives and is only visible to them), that some of the people Facebook has "suggested" I connect with, are my neighbors, who I don't even associate with. This means they must figure out where I live and cross reference with other people near this address. That's kinda spooky.
    That is annoying.

    I continue to wonder if or when the Facebook will offer up my profile as a suggested “friend” to people I have stalked. I dont want the Facebook to so that. While I do have a nome de plume (against their rules!) I still do not wantthat to happen. So far, I have not seen evidence that happens, but it certainly is within their rights and technical ability to do.

  3. #3
    Senior Member CathyA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    8,496
    Yeah, I've worried about that too. Some of the people I look up I don't want knowing I'm around. I wonder if my neighbor showed up as a suggestion because she had looked me up? Did you know that there is some sort of app that lets you know who is looking at your Facebook? I don't have that but I know people that do. I've looked up some of the people I used to work with and after a while I was not able to access their Facebook page. Which is fine. They have the right to exclude me from seeing their stuff even though they let the world see it. But still, I wish Facebook would step back a bit.

  4. #4
    Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,277
    I have Facebook With only a few geographically distant friends I am connected with. I am in dozens of groups pertaining to quilting, African violets, Native wildflowers , and some musicians I follow. Facebook can be a valuable way for people to communicate about their hobbies, but it can be very creepy. So I keep it to my hobbies.

  5. #5
    Senior Member rosarugosa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Eastern Massachusetts
    Posts
    3,586
    Generally FB suggests friends that you have at least one friend in common with. Look to see if you have a common friend with those who are suggested. I've never had FB suggest a friend where we did not have a friend in common.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Williamsmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Penns Woods
    Posts
    2,835
    Facebook is a wonderful government intelligence gathering tool. It’s platform can be used for extremely beneficial and extremely nefarious purposes. The beauty of it is it’s seemingly inoucuous interaction with its customers.

    A recent brutal murder of a nutrition chain clerk was solved partially by the murderers Facebook page. He left bloody shoeprints at the crime scene. They were uniquely matched to a certain brand and model of tennis shoe. When investigators captured his Facebook account there were several pictures of the now defendant wearing the very make and model of shoe that made the print. The allowed them to seize those shoes and make a direct comparisons to anomalies in the bottom of the shoe to provide evidence in the case.

    Its not common knowledge but the government through agencies like NSA constantly sweeps social media for “about” communications. This is how some domestic surveillance takes place. So yes, in a way, you are being watched.

  7. #7
    Senior Member CathyA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    8,496
    Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Generally FB suggests friends that you have at least one friend in common with. Look to see if you have a common friend with those who are suggested. I've never had FB suggest a friend where we did not have a friend in common.
    No, not for my neighbor. And......there's a suggestion for the car salesman that we've bought cars from in another city. I have no connection with him except for that.

  8. #8
    Senior Member CathyA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    8,496
    Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    Facebook is a wonderful government intelligence gathering tool. It’s platform can be used for extremely beneficial and extremely nefarious purposes. The beauty of it is it’s seemingly inoucuous interaction with its customers.

    A recent brutal murder of a nutrition chain clerk was solved partially by the murderers Facebook page. He left bloody shoeprints at the crime scene. They were uniquely matched to a certain brand and model of tennis shoe. When investigators captured his Facebook account there were several pictures of the now defendant wearing the very make and model of shoe that made the print. The allowed them to seize those shoes and make a direct comparisons to anomalies in the bottom of the shoe to provide evidence in the case.

    Its not common knowledge but the government through agencies like NSA constantly sweeps social media for “about” communications. This is how some domestic surveillance takes place. So yes, in a way, you are being watched.
    I'm thinking I should be careful when I joke with a facebook friend about hoping a certain government official gets assassinated....

  9. #9
    Senior Member jp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    3,736
    Avoiding Facebook won't help. They have a shadow profile of everyone. Even people who have never ever had a Facebook account. Anyone else you know who does have a Facebook account and who has authorized Facebook to vacuum up all the contact info in their phone, now has a shadow profile and Facebook will figure out all the potential connections for you.

    Somehow Facebook connected me to my old eye doc in NJ. Undoubtedly some of the random people I don't know that facebook recommends as possible friends are other people who have my old eye doc's phone number stored in their phone's contacts.

    https://gizmodo.com/how-facebook-fig...met-1819822691

  10. #10
    Senior Member Sad Eyed Lady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    1,038
    It's all connected, IMO. Last week I called our state legislature about a house bill going up for vote that would allow medical marijuana in our state. I called to voice my support of this, and almost right away I started getting emails that I had qualified for a trial size of medical marijuana and would I please supply info where to send it! Almost immediately - and not on my phone, on my email. I think they have trailed off now since I kept marking them spam, but that was a little strange. So, as I said, IMO it is all connected.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •