Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vitamins & Supplements : Just a simple survey

Williamsmith

Vitamins & Supplements : Just a simple survey

I did the search here on vitamins and supplements and am aware this topic has been discussed. I simply wanted to see where the current active readers and posters are at.

I have taken a multivitamin fairly regularly for many years. I started when I was working and under a lot of stress. It seemed like the appropriate thing to do since I often worked with sleep deprivation, skipped meals, ate a poor diet ...often fast food. Never really gave it a thought.

I did notice all doctors when they did an initial survey wanted to know if you were taking a supplement or vitamin. Hmmm. Curious. I’ve never gotten a warning from a doctor to stop taking them.

So a little research now that I’m retired and I am discontinuing use of the multivitamin I take. I still am taking the CoQ10 as my physician did recommend that.

My biggest concern is twofold.

The source of most vitamins is China. My bottle I just threw away says, “Product Of China”.

And the thought that I could be paying good money to poison myself or at least do nothing for myself.....really irritates me that I could be so stupid.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    So agree. Vitamins totally made in the US have no FDA monitoring but who knows what you are getting from another country Often they are labeled made in the USA from ingredients in other countries.

It it makes me wonder where all these vitamins are from in fortified milk, bread and cereals and so on.

The only thing I would guess to do is eat as many organic fresh fruit and vegetables and grains as possible.

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    So agree. Vitamins totally made in the US have no FDA monitoring but who knows what you are getting from another country Often they are labeled made in the USA from ingredients in other countries.

It it makes me wonder where all these vitamins are from in fortified milk, bread and cereals and so on.

The only thing I would guess to do is eat as many organic fresh fruit and vegetables and grains as possible.
    The cynic inside me, which I seem to be getting back in touch with, wonders if the vitamin deficiency paradigm is just a construct of the mega million dollar supplement industry. Show me a population that is becoming healthier for its use of supplements and I’ll be a believer. The US is sick. I look at what the common US citiEn does and figure....it’s got to be harmful.

B complex and iron - when I remember. I do notice a difference in my nails when I have remembered the b complex for a long time.

I take calcium and vit D because I'm lactose intolerant, my vit D levels were in the low end of normal, my dexascan showed slight bone loss, and my doctor told me to.

I take cough drops with zinc if I have a sore throat because research supports that.

I don't take others. I think of vitamin and minerals as medications and I want a reason and I want my doc on board before I take something routinely.

I quit taking a multivitamin years ago. I am taking Vitamin D3, in part because those of us in northern climes don't get a lot of sunshine in the winter and in part because it is indicated (in studies I trust) for diabetics.

DW takes iron pills when she can get them down; her diet (by her choice) typically does not include enough iron-containing foods and her hemoglobin is always on the low end of okay.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Yppej
    D3 and B12 only because my son was cleaning out his room and asked if I wanted them.

I take no vitamins.

I take D3. I live in Florida, and still don't get enough. Dr. indicates it's action in the body is much like a hormone and I feel different when taking them. Could be in my head, though. Otherwise, I sometimes take a probiotic . You know, if I remember, etc. And they're sort of pricey.

Vitamin D when I remember.

Thread Information