Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Vitamins & Supplements : Just a simple survey

I used to be of the mind that vitamins are a waste of money, but then my doctor told me I was low on Vitamin D. And getting older and expecting my food patterns to shift and my ability to absorb nutrients to shift, I decided to hedge my bets by taking vitamins...and then I went overboard when the adult gummy vitamins came out! I was always extremely non-compliant with vitamin pills and capsules. I don't have a hard time swallowing them, but it was just a pain.

But the vitamin gummies are so much more pleasant to get down! I take a women's multi, D3 (and my Vitamin D is within normal range now), C, CoQ10, B12, and fish oil (although I have to say, of all the gummies, the fish oil really stinks--literally!). I'm much more compliant now, although I still forget from time to time.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I used to never take vitamins, figuring they were making expensive urine. But, having reached 69...I do now take B12, D3 daily. I bought some "hair thickening" pill and am using that for a month to see if it helps this slower hair growth on my head. I also take magnesium and Vit. C before bed as it seems to help with sleep. I had lots of blood work done in Dec. and my GP was thrilled with it...so it's not hurting me and might be helping.

I take Vitamin D in gummy form in the winter, as well as probiotics in the fall before flu/cold season starts. I'm about to start taking a plant sterol supplement because I have borderline high LDL cholesterol, and my provider wanted to put me on statins. From what I've researched for low risk patients, I'd have a 1 in 10 chance of getting myopathy (my parents both experienced this on statins) and a 1 in 15 chance of developing diabetes, but only a 1 in 150 chance of stopping a stroke and around the same chances for avoiding a heart attack. Not a good risk/reward ratio in my book.

I do not take vitamins but did recently start taking B12 in liquid form. I think I have convinced DH not to buy into the vitamin story too; we have no way of knowing where the ingredients come from.

I probably qualify as a supplement junkie. I take a "mature" multivitamin, mostly for eye health as it seems to be a week point in my genetics. I don't know if it helps, but the Kirkland brand is pretty inexpensive and I vaguely recall a Consumer Reports saying it is a reliable brand. I take turmeric (with curcumin) for minor joint pain and as an anti-inflammatory and antioxident. And also occationally rhodiola for a little energy and mood boost. I used to take more and have pretty much stuck with Solaray and Gaia for supplements. They seem like quality mainstream, but I guess there is still the question of quality.

I take no vitamins and seldom have. I almost forget that people do.

Occasionally when I remember I add turmeric (the spice not the vitamin, a brand with a measured amount of tumerols or whatever) to things. Don't take fish oil, I eat fish. Don't take vitamin D but try to do some sunbathing (but not too much) in summer but I could be low even so. Don't take a probiotic, really worry very little about it as i haven't been on antibiotics recently, but occasionally buy those small drinks that say they have tens of thousands of probiotics, once in a while eat yogurt.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

C, B's, D3 w/K2, Probiotics, Fish oil and a few others. Of all I take I love magnesium and can tell when I take it and when I don't. It is great right before bed to help me sleep. I also take theanine and can tell the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    I take Vitamin D in gummy form in the winter, as well as probiotics in the fall before flu/cold season starts. I'm about to start taking a plant sterol supplement because I have borderline high LDL cholesterol, and my provider wanted to put me on statins. From what I've researched for low risk patients, I'd have a 1 in 10 chance of getting myopathy (my parents both experienced this on statins) and a 1 in 15 chance of developing diabetes, but only a 1 in 150 chance of stopping a stroke and around the same chances for avoiding a heart attack. Not a good risk/reward ratio in my book.
    Would be interested in how you were able to determine your risk factors?

Like others here, I take a number of supplements. I recently quit taking lecithin and within a few weeks times noticed a GREAT difference. It helps in mind clarity. If I forget or quit taking it, I forget or cannot bring up words. Supposedly, it is also an aid to keep arteries clear of plaque for those with cholesterol problems. Needless to say, I can't verify that. The other supplement that is a must for me is a powdered magnesium supplement called CALM. It helps keeps my heart rhythm. Fish oil is an aid for dry eyes....

I am astounded by the great variety in vitamin and supplement use! This might be one of the most personal choices we make. Vitamin D seems to be a very common remedy for winter blues. I guess what keeps nagging at me is.....just how do we know that the pill we are taking contains what the label says?