Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Vitamins & Supplements : Just a simple survey

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    just how do we know that the pill we are taking contains what the label says?
    I think you simply have the same faith in them that you have in anything else you buy: real pharmaceuticals, food, hygiene products like anti-perspirant or shaving cream,..

Though I tend to avoid many products made in China, I'm 1) realistic enough to know it's pretty much impossible to avoid them all; 2) aware that there are some very high-quality products that are made in China; 3) aware my rationale for avoiding products from China is as much tied to politics and human rights as it is to product quality; and 4) of the belief that some products pose a greater chance of risk than others.

An ingredient that a Chinese supplier provides to, say, an American or Japanese manufacturer probably receives more rigorous acceptance testing than the same material going to some unnamed company which will stamp the finished product "Manufactured for SuperMegaStore". For smarter or dumber, I'm more careful about country of origin for products I take internally than I am for products which I use outside my body.

There also are counterfeits of some products; the higher the margin, the more likely someone will go to the trouble of counterfeiting it. I might find a lower price for a product on ebay or Amazon, being sold by some lone-wolf seller, but I think the risk of not getting what I think I'm purchasing is higher there than it is at Costco or my local pharmacy.

I don't mean to pick on China alone on this, either. There are other countries which manufacture products I would pass by on most of the same criteria. China simply is the big fish in the pond and has a long documented record of not offering what was advertised.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I've researched independent reviews of vitamins, like this one: https://labdoor.com/about

Consumer Reports also tests and reviews vitamins and supplements.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I don't know if you can actually tell a country of origin without a lot of homework. I got my supplements out and by the label they appear to be distributed by U.S. companies, but there is no indication of a source of origin. I suspect especially herbal supplements are sourced outside the country as ingredients if not the entire product.

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I've researched independent reviews of vitamins, like this one: https://labdoor.com/about

Consumer Reports also tests and reviews vitamins and supplements.
    Thank you, this is very interesting.

I also take elderberry tincture....I've had one cold since I started taking it last Dec. and am pretty sure it has helped. I make it with dried elderberries from Amazon, put 1/2 cup in a pint jar, cover and fill with any 80 proof alcohol or higher, store in the dark for 6 weeks, strain and take 1/8 tsp. daily. More often if feeling a cold coming on.

Daily: 2000IU vitamin D, 500mg magnesium. 2x per week: 800mcg folic acid + 5mcg B12.

My Promethease report shows that I’m at very high risk of age-related macular degeneration. I’ll talk to my optometrist, and start taking the recommended supplements:
    500 mg vitamin C
    400 IU vitamin E
    80mg zinc oxide
    2mg cupric oxide
    10mg lutein
    2mg zeaxanthin

https://nei.nih.gov/health/maculardegen/armd_facts

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by nswef View Post
    I also take elderberry tincture....I've had one cold since I started taking it last Dec. and am pretty sure it has helped. I make it with dried elderberries from Amazon, put 1/2 cup in a pint jar, cover and fill with any 80 proof alcohol or higher, store in the dark for 6 weeks, strain and take 1/8 tsp. daily. More often if feeling a cold coming on.
    Well, I think I feel a cold coming on!

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    Well, I think I feel a cold coming on!
    Yeah.....A really BIG cold!

Quote Originally Posted by nswef View Post
    I also take elderberry elixir: my local "wildcrafter"/forager makes it and it's delicious--and I do think it works as an immune booster.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I also take elderberry elixir
    I just boil up some elderberries in water for about 45 minutes, and then drink that diluted in some water. I met a friend last week who was just getting over the flu, and 2 days later felt like I was coming down with something (enlarged glands, sore throat). I took 3 doses of elderberry during the day, and never did come down with anything.

Thread Information