Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: New York City: I Have To Ask

Williamsmith
    Well, I’m Back!

When I was brainstorming this trip to celebrate my 35th wedding anniversary with my soulmate.....I had in mind a theme .......”Starting Over”. Inspired by John Lennon’s song of the same title, I hoped to kick off my next 35 years of marriage. Time does “go by so quickly.”

I can report a very very successful and enjoyable time was had by both of us. We stayed in a nice hotel in Mid Manhattan near Bryant Park. Jp1.....yes the room was small....but we had a clear view of the empire state building out our window. And it was convenient to not have to get up to reach most things in the room.

I made it to Central Park, Strawberry Fields, The Dakota, Trump Tower, St Patrick’s Cathedral, Rockefeller Center, Times Square, Madison Square Garden, Ellis Island, The Statue of Liberty, Ground Zero, 911 Museum and Memorial, Queens, Citifield, Broadway, Macy’s, American Girl and the 86th floor of the Empire State Building.

I road the train, Uber and walked and walked and walked some more. Waitress was a neat musical experience except the theatre built in 1926 had seats built for 1926 midgets. Billy Joel was awesome in concert and his surprise guest...Bryan Adams was also.

I ate a couple meals that topped a hundred dollars and some of the best pizza I’ve ever had. I overdosed on cheesecake more than once. I finished the trip with one night in the Poconos. All in all....it probably couldn’t have gone better.

“Let’s take a chance and fly away,”...........

I'm glad to see that you had such a great trip, Williamsmith! It's a trip and memories you and your wife will remember fondly forever.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Wow! You covered a lot of ground on that trip! Good job! And what a great theme song.
    Thanks for giving us the update!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Sounds like a lot of fun! Great that it all worked out so well.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Sounds GREAT. You got to experience a bunch. I'm pretty excited that we are going to finish our trip to Canada with a couple of days in NY and hope to catch a few things we missed the first time.

Sounds like a great trip!

Williamsmith
    This photo seems to represent the “majesty” of the city for me. I just looked up while walking and snapped it at the perfect moment I think. It can definitely be an overwhelming place and challenging to find a peaceful space but the various parks within the city were truly thoughtful in their locations. Bryant Park was especially “hipster. They were laying out hundreds of yoga mats for people in a class. At the same time hordes of people were having after work drinks and talking while other were playing tournaments of chess and MaJong and dominoes. Definitely a “bustling” town but all the chaos seemed to harnessed into a singular purposeful fine tuned engine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Williamsmith
    At Times Square, I was aware of the consumer aspect of tourism. But many were out for a Broadway show. This is where the diversity of people attracted to the city seemed most apparent.

Williamsmith
    A view of Mid to Lower Manhattan from the 86th floor of the Empire State Building. There are lots and lots of people down there.

Williamsmith
    Someone you know waiting on lunch at Rockefeller Plaza where they ice skate in the winter.

Thread Information