Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: New York City: I Have To Ask

Don't forget to find discount seats at broadwaybox.com

I just took a look at what's discounted on that site and it's a totally personal decision, but I'd do:

A Standard:
    Hello Dolly (Bette Midler is no longer headlining, but Bernadette Peters is Dolly now, and I really like her)
    Carousel (I LOVE this musical. Haven't seen this production, but it's a tried and true)
    Chicago

A more modern standard
    Wicked: Around for a couple of decades but a great, fun show

Latest Tony Winner
    Dear Evan Hansen: I'd only go if Ben Platt is still in it. Not sure if I personally would connect with the subject matter of teen angst, but it's the latest hot thing, so..

Play rather than musical?
    Nah. You're in NYC for the first time See a musical.

And here's a New York Magazine article about some brand new shows hitting Broadway in 2018 to make the decision even harder. http://www.vulture.com/2018/01/upcom...hows-2018.html
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Williamsmith
    Neither my wife nor I know anything about plays or musicals. We are going to be there in late August. Hot. Nothing new because this is when we always travel. I’m kinda disappointed because Madison Square Gardens has Billy Joel the day after we leave.

I thought of Carousel. Chicago. Lots to consider. I wonder if she’d rather go fishing in Montana?

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    I’m kinda disappointed because Madison Square Gardens has Billy Joel the day after we leave.
    Can you adjust your schedule? Shoot, you're a 10 minute walk to MSG from your hotel!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Can you adjust your schedule? Shoot, you're a 10 minute walk to MSG from your hotel!
    I could adjust my schedule but I’d have to adjust my budget another $1000. Ugh!

It might be worth it!

Billy Joel ain't gettin' any younger! Just sayin'....
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Williamsmith
    Okay so Catherine and SteveinMN convinced me. I’m within walking distance of the Garden and it is true....Billy Joel ain’t gettin any younger. So I modified my arrival time, extended my departure time and scarfed up two tickets on presale this morning to see the concert. So now I’m spending three days and four nights in the Big Apple.

Next challenge is settle on a musical. I’m already seeing the budget getting squeezed but 35 years don’t come around all that often and we’ve got six months to squirrel away the funds.

I really want to see Hamilton but heard it is super expensive and sold out way in advance. Chicago would be a great musical to see.

Williamsmith
    Hamilton missed the cut. Hip hop and liberal politics. I just want to be entertained....not preached to.

I don't want to pay for noise and drama....I want to be happily entertained, too. Not too much dancing of any sort either. I've liked Phantom of the Opera, Cats, Beauty and the Beast (did not see all these on Broadway, but on stages by pros), Wicked, Lion King, Aida- not my favorite, though. I want to like the music and somewhat of a story. If you've never seen a Broadway show, though, most any pleasant musical is fun.

Thread Information