Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: New York City: I Have To Ask

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by nswef View Post
    I don't want to pay for noise and drama....I want to be happily entertained, too. Not too much dancing of any sort either. I've liked Phantom of the Opera, Cats, Beauty and the Beast (did not see all these on Broadway, but on stages by pros), Wicked, Lion King, Aida- not my favorite, though. I want to like the music and somewhat of a story. If you've never seen a Broadway show, though, most any pleasant musical is fun.
    Waitress is getting the nod from the wife. It looks like the broadway box.com site discounts tickets up to 47% but you need to wait to within a month of the show? Is this right?

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    Waitress is getting the nod from the wife. It looks like the broadway box.com site discounts tickets up to 47% but you need to wait to within a month of the show? Is this right?
    The way I'm reading it is the discount price is a limited time, ending March 29. This may be because this is kind of a dead time on Broadway. I think you can either pay regular price for the date you want, or you can take a chance and wait until closer to the time to see if other discounts open up--or REALLY take a chance and see if you can get the tix day off!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    The way I'm reading it is the discount price is a limited time, ending March 29. This may be because this is kind of a dead time on Broadway. I think you can either pay regular price for the date you want, or you can take a chance and wait until closer to the time to see if other discounts open up--or REALLY take a chance and see if you can get the tix day off!
    Gotcha. Okay, what’s in the back of my mind is that Waitress seems to be a show that is anticipated to be in demand so.......maybe I’ll just lock down some decent tickets and forget it.

Once they are paid for don't look for cheaper!!

Quote Originally Posted by nswef View Post
    Once they are paid for don't look for cheaper!!
    In prime holiday season, nothing will be cheaper. Choose what you want to do, pay for it to be sure that you get to do it and then let it go and enjoy this special occasion for the both of you.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I'm so jealous! You're going to the best city on the planet! And it sounds like you've got a great deal with parking at your nephew's. Nutley isn't far at all from the city. Personally summer was always my favorite time of year when I lived there. You may end up with absurdly hot weather, but you also may luck out and just have really nice, warm weather. The only thing I didn't like about summer in the city was having to dress for work and then take the subway. You definitely won't need to pack jackets or any kind of cool weather stuff, even for the evenings. And august is usually a relatively quiet time in the city because a lot of people are on vacation or at least going away for the weekends.

Although the subway is intimidating, I do recommend taking it at least once or twice just for the experience. Buses are also a decent way to get around and still be able to see the city. They just take longer. Walking is often almost as fast.

Look into circle line cruises. I assume they still do a trip all the way around manhattan. It's a great way to see a lot, get a bit of a history lesson, and they get pretty close to the statue of liberty, so unless you feel the need to actually hike to the top of the statue you won't need to do a seperate trip to see that. If you do want to go up in the statue buy the tickets now. They sell out fast.

As for museums MOMA and the Metropolitan are both amazing. Natural History is good too but I didn't find it to be that much more impressive than denver's so if you've already seen a good natural history museum elsewhere it may not be worth your limited time. (of course the last time I went to denver's natural history museum was probably 38 years ago, so take my opinion on this with a grain of salt.) Note that the Metropolitan Museum has a "suggested" admission. The signs will have the dollar amounts they'd like you to give but it's pay what you want. When I first moved to NYC I went a lot but would only stay an hour or two, and focus on just a small section of the museum each time, so I would give them a buck each time, figuring that over time I was giving them a full admission price and also over time seeing the full museum. Looking at MOMA's website it looks like they have free admission from 4-8pm on Fridays but expect crowds, at least during the first couple of hours.

The new freedom tower and the empire state both have amazing views. But you don't necessarily need to do both unless you have the time. If you do decide to do both I'd plan for doing one in daytime and one after dark.

Times' Square is way more awesome at night when it's all lit up.

If you have the time/inclination to take a walk through central park make sure to swing by John Lennon's Strawberry Fields memorial, just across from the Dakota Apartments.

Lastly, from a practical standpoint you should look into the City Pass. I don't know about NY's but the London one ended up being a good value for us. It included unlimited transit and most of the museums we wanted to go to were included for free as part of the package.

And one warning. Try not to be too shocked at how small the hotel room is. It will likely be half the size of any hotel room you've ever stayed in. That's normal. Even high end hotels are this way. The hilton that SO worked for went so far as to do stuff like have all the lights attached to the walls rather than taking up floor space or space on the tiny bedside table because space was at such a premium.

Williamsmith
    Appreciate the information jp1, if you ever go hunting in Penns Woods I could fill you in on the best venison on the planet!

Personally, I liked just taking Amtrak in to Grand Central then taking the subway, walking, buses everywhere. So much fun and easier.

We came in on Amtrak as well. Loved learning how to ride the subway and walking. So many sights to see as well as many missed. Can't wait to go back.

Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    We came in on Amtrak as well. Loved learning how to ride the subway and walking. So many sights to see as well as many missed. Can't wait to go back.
    Chinatown!

Thread Information