Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: New York City: I Have To Ask

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    Well, I know it would be alright to park at my nephews house and he’d probably host us for a night or two. I could get to the hotel of choice from there, yes? Seeing as how I used to babysit his ass when he was a child....I think he owes me. I want to say he actually lives in Clifton?

This has been a great beginning thanks to you all....much appreciated.
    Oh yes call a local, everything changes so fast for transportation and lodging and events. It sounds like a lot of fun,

Williamsmith
    I called my nephew today and left a message. He returned the call just as my wife pulled into the drive. Busted! The good news is he lives in Nutley, NJ.....has room for my car inbhis drive....offered to drop us at the local train station which goes directly into Pennsylvania Station in Manhattan. From there we can either walk to the hotel or catch a cab or subway....etc.

My wife was jaw dropping surprised at the news. And yes.....as you all predicted...very happy to be involved in planning the activities. The next step is to decide on a hotel. I am giving serious consideration to the Algonquin that Rosa recommended. I think the time of year we plan going is helping keep prices down.

Things are looking up. Maybe there is something to that three of diamonds after all.

The signs are pointing to good news! I know you cannot wish things to happen or not happen, but if you can have something very enjoyable to plan and do it makes a lot of difference. I thought your nephew would be happy to accommodate you and I have to say the Algonquin sounds very cool.

If you want to see a particular area (such as the Village) check out Big Apple Greeters. We did this our first time in NYC and had a wonderful experience. It is a free service offered by the City. You just have to apply ahead of time (the sooner the better), you tell a little about yourself and what you want to do and they will match you up with a volunteer from that area. So you can see "the sights" with a native New Yorker. They don't do the touristy things because they say you can easily do them on your own, but for a fun afternoon, inside look at say the Upper East Side, or wherever, it is great. They also get you acquainted with the subway system, bus lines etc. and lots of walking. https://bigapplegreeter.org/
    I hope this link works for you.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by Sad Eyed Lady View Post
    If you want to see a particular area (such as the Village) check out Big Apple Greeters. We did this our first time in NYC and had a wonderful experience. It is a free service offered by the City. You just have to apply ahead of time (the sooner the better), you tell a little about yourself and what you want to do and they will match you up with a volunteer from that area. So you can see "the sights" with a native New Yorker. They don't do the touristy things because they say you can easily do them on your own, but for a fun afternoon, inside look at say the Upper East Side, or wherever, it is great. They also get you acquainted with the subway system, bus lines etc. and lots of walking. https://bigapplegreeter.org/
    I hope this link works for you.
    It works! Thanks

Williamsmith
    Well, I’ve gone cross eyed trying to settle on a hotel out of the over 200 of them in mid manhattan but I finally picked one in the vicinity of W.37th and Fifth Ave. The only conditions set by the wife is that it is not a luxury hotel where you have to tip someone every time the wind blows. I think I successfully hit the middle ground. Not too plush, not too spartan. The important part is it’s location is right in the middle of all that she would want to see. The next hurdle is picking a broadway play or musical. She definitively wants to attend. My daughter started showing me the possibilities and I’ll need some help vetting these shows. What did I do?

I've had good reports of "Waitress". "Aladdin"

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    The next hurdle is picking a broadway play or musical. She definitively wants to attend. My daughter started showing me the possibilities and I’ll need some help vetting these shows. What did I do?
    Let your wife vet the shows. She's really the one who cares about which one you see, no? Tickets to some may be harder to get than others, so maybe pick the "stretch" show (like "Hamilton") and a second show that more has seats/is more affordable.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

WS, I wanted to see the opera, La Traviata, at the Met so planned a solo trip there. I took Amtrak, found that I enjoyed the peace and quiet of the train, found a hotel modestly priced but convenient, arrived at Penn Station where a gentleman waiting for a cab advised never to use anything but a Yellow Cab for my security as there are renegade cabs causing problems.

Get a map of the transit system to study now, investigate the various city tours looking at the reviews for feedback and order your tickets for the events or activities that you especially want to see ahead of time.

I walked everywhere but bought a City Pass to see a number of sites for one very reasonable price including MOMA, the Empire State building (heavy security here so go really early), the Hudson River tour, Museum of History and so on. Met Museum of Art is one of a kind and I read that an entry fee is coming at some point as the costs of operating have risen so it will no longer be free. I literally ran from one activity to another as I had only three days.

The hotel staff were very helpful with suggestions and advice. My hotel was above a deli that was open 24 hours a day supplying any hot meals which I took to my room to eat since I was too busy sightseeing during the day. Apparently New Yorkers eat out or bring home their meals with apartments lacking kitchens per se beyond a sink and a microwave according to one friend whose son lives there.

I loved NYC and will go back. I never felt unsafe but used common sense in whatever I did.

Yes, I saw La Traviata which was wonderful but spent 24 hours sleeping after I got home from sheer exhaustion at all that I did.

My only concern about summer in NY is the temp as it will be hot and humid. i went in late February which was the perfect time and temp for seeing everything at a modest cost, free of masses of tourists doing the same thing.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I was interested in seeing "Waitress" in Boston, but at $225 per ticket, I decided I wasn't quite that interested.

Thread Information