Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New York City: I Have To Ask

Oh yes, GO and let her plan or help you plan. I've been once all by myself, and 6 times with other people. Stay in town, much easier to get around and there's so much to see you don't want to waste time getting back to your hotel. Two ways to do the Statue of Liberty-Staten Island Ferry for a distant view and the direct ferry at Battery Park. I never felt unsafe. When I went with my mom and sisters we stayed at the Barbizon, with husband World Trade Center Marriott, with parents the Waldorf, alone at a Marriott near Penn Station, Marriotts were paid for with points, Waldorf was Priceline. We've flown and taken the train, once in town used cabs, the subway and the bus. We did the tour bus around town (not very accurate with their stories, but entertaining.)

We went this last September and had the time of our lives. We saw every highlight that you can think of with a city guide who lived there and was a kick in the pants. He even taught us how to ride the subway. We were there a few days before 9/11 so there were many events going on that wouldn't be there normally. We stayed in Times Square. Now when we catch glimpses in movies or TV we giggle and say "We were right there". Had so much fun.

From the little I know about you, WS, you might enjoy:

Central Park West/Museum of Natural History
    The High Line
    9/11 Museum

If you don't want to walk:
    NYC bus tour (my DH takes those city bus tours in EVERY CITY we go to. They do give you a good overview, but I prefer to walk)

If you DO want to walk:
    West Village
    Times Square
    5th Avenue, esp from the library/Bryant Park all the way up to Central Park--hit up Madison Avenue and Grand Central Station while you're at it.
    Lincoln Center/Central Park West

Not sure if you like plays/theatre, but if you are even mildly interested in plays, you have to go to the TKTS booth and get a cheap discount ticket for a show. Or if you don't want to stand in line, visit broadwaybox.com. Or get the TKTS app.

As far as food, there are about 50 restaurants per block. I would suggest either getting a recommendation from a concierge or signing up with Zagat for a month. Otherwise, you'll be overwhelmed with choices.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Williamsmith
    Okay, my head is spinning here. I’ll return some feedback. At first, I was sure I wanted this to be a surprise. My wife typically does not like to make decisions regarding where to eat and what to fill a day up with. She likes me to do all the planning. But there’s some serious problems with it.

First, she’s going to have to put in for the time off way ahead. Second, I know nothing about New York City and from the posts here......there’s a lot to know. So I think I’ll plan the general skeleton of the trip and let her define some of the specifics. I can’t picture me going back. I’ll need a month in a hunting cabin to recover.

Im pretty sure I want to drive to the hotel and park. We spent a very nice week in Boston once and rode the subway everywhere we went. Didn’t move the car once. So I have to pick a location and a hotel.

I think she’d enjoy a play over a musical. She’d want to see the 9-11 memorial. Perhaps grand central station. Definitely Times Square, Lincoln Center and Central Park. Perhaps the Statue of Liberty and I like the Hudson River Boat idea. I’d like to go to Yankee Stadium - we have shared interest in baseball.

You guys have given me much to think about.

I have never needed a car once I am in the city, in fact it’s a PITA to have one there. Public transportation is so good there, and distances so short, that if you are staying anyplace remotely central, you’ll be able to hoof it everywhere.

The Morgan Library/Museum is one of my favorite spots in NYC.

http://www.themorgan.org

Williamsmith
    If you folks don’t mind....I’m going to have to bounce a few possible home base locations off you for the trip. As soon as I narrow some down. Thanks to everyone for volunteering to help in this endeavor.

OK, so just for fun, I asked my DH to imagine we were going on a surprise weekend to NY that he had planned (he has been twice on business trips and I have never been). First of all, let me assure you that this would never actually happen (him planning a surprise weekend). But just for fun . . .
    Rosa: where would we stay?
    DH: The Algonquin
    Rosa: Where would we go?
    DH: Central Park, Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty.
    Perfect score - we need to do this sometime!

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    OK, so just for fun, I asked my DH to imagine we were going on a surprise weekend to NY that he had planned (he has been twice on business trips and I have never been). First of all, let me assure you that this would never actually happen (him planning a surprise weekend). But just for fun . . .
    Rosa: where would we stay?
    DH: The Algonquin
    Rosa: Where would we go?
    DH: Central Park, Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty.
    Perfect score - we need to do this sometime!

Williamsmith
    Okay a king room during the period I suspect we’d be going appears to be $242/night and parking info as follows:

• Valet parking, fee: 55 USD daily
    • Valet Daily Parking for Over-sized Vehicles - $65
    • Off-site parking, fee: 46 USD daily

So if I park there five nights......what’s that costing me?

Thread Information