Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New York City: I Have To Ask

Is it possible to catch a train into the city from your home location?

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Is it possible to catch a train into the city from your home location?
    Yes, Amtrak. But that train is so damn unreliable. I will have to research this more.....now. we Are talking about a 372 mile trip. I wonder what two tickets to ride round trip might be?

You could drive in, but I highly recommend a NYC parking app like this one: https://nyc.bestparking.com or this one: https://www.parkfast.com

You could park at the Secaucus NJ train station, which is right off the NJ Turnpike, and take the 20 minute train ride in. Here is a TripAdvisor question on the safety of leaving a car there overnight. https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...ew_Jersey.html

Another suggestion: Drive to Philly and Amtrak from there.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Williamsmith
    I can drive it in 6 hrs. and the cost for fuel minimal. The train will take over 9 hrs. And looks like several hundred dollars for tickets and I can only carry on luggage on the train, no checked luggage. Plus, I would have to leave my car parked in Pittsburgh for a week which would be costly also. So even if you figure valet service....I think it’s break even.

Or drive to north Jersey and park there to take the PATH train. Gotta be cheaper to park in New Jersey for a week than parking a car in Manhattan unless the hotel reimburses you. You aren't likely to need a car and drivers in NYC are ... well, "not patient" for starters. I've driven in the city a few times; I can do it but I'd rather not (especially with a vehicle I valued). I can't imagine navigating NYC streets as an out-of-towner is going to add an essential element to your vacation.

Lesser-known spots that can be fun to visit in NYC (n.b., there's more to NYC than just Manhattan):
    - a ride on the Staten Island Ferry (two, actually, to return)
    - the Cooper-Hewitt Design museum (on my ilst; not on everyone's)
    - Ellis Island (along with the Statue of Liberty; if you just want to see the statue you can do that from a boat)
    - a tour of the Steinway piano factory
    - a tour of backstage at the Metropolitan Opera House (or, for that matter, visiting Lincoln Center)
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    Or drive to north Jersey and park there to take the PATH train. Gotta be cheaper to park in New Jersey for a week than parking a car in Manhattan unless the hotel reimburses you. You aren't likely to need a car and drivers in NYC are ... well, "not patient" for starters. I've driven in the city a few times; I can do it but I'd rather not (especially with a vehicle I valued). I can't imagine navigating NYC streets as an out-of-towner is going to add an essential element to your vacation.

Lesser-known spots that can be fun to visit in NYC (n.b., there's more to NYC than just Manhattan):
    - a ride on the Staten Island Ferry (two, actually, to return)
    - the Cooper-Hewitt Design museum (on my ilst; not on everyone's)
    - Ellis Island (along with the Statue of Liberty; if you just want to see the statue you can do that from a boat)
    - a tour of the Steinway piano factory
    - a tour of backstage at the Metropolitan Opera House (or, for that matter, visiting Lincoln Center)
    Oh my, my head is starting to hurt. I have a nephew who is a Professor of Physiology at Montclair State University, NJ ....is that anywhere near a place I could park my car and catch some transportation in?

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    Oh my, my head is starting to hurt. I have a nephew who is a Professor of Physiology at Montclair State University, NJ ....is that anywhere near a place I could park my car and catch some transportation in?
    Yes, NY is easily accessible from Montclair. It's not real quick (1hr+), but you can do it. Plus Montclair is beautiful.

I would, however, either park in Secaucus or just drive in and park the car for the duration of the trip.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

Williamsmith
    Well, I know it would be alright to park at my nephews house and he’d probably host us for a night or two. I could get to the hotel of choice from there, yes? Seeing as how I used to babysit his ass when he was a child....I think he owes me. I want to say he actually lives in Clifton?

This has been a great beginning thanks to you all....much appreciated.

Clifton is even closer. Not a bad strategy..

Call your nephew!

Thread Information