Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nikki Giovanni, the poet

Nikki Giovanni, the poet

Last night at OSU -- for free! -- there was a Martin Luther King, Jr. celebration featuring Nikki Giovanni. She read a few of her poems and spoke.

There was also a gospel choir that really brought down the house!

And there was a fraternity step routine, a local soul singer, another spoken word poet, and a few local speakers too.

Nikki Giovanni was an entertaining speaker and her poems were excellent, which should go without saying.

She said something that I was dubious about in her speech:

"As long as there are white people there will be racism. It just comes with the territory."

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    "As long as there are white people there will be racism. It just comes with the territory."

Thoughts?
    The first sentence is too wordy. Delete the adjective "white", and it'll be spot-on.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    The first sentence is too wordy. Delete the adjective "white", and it'll be spot-on.
    Perfect. That's what I was going to say, but not as pithily.

ETA to add my Big But: Since white culture is dominant, it unfortunately stands to reason that the effects of white racism will have a much bigger impact on the non-white community.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." --Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." --Martin Luther King, Jr.
    Now you just warned someone in another thread about making people angry, subtly pointing out the solution to racism to people who insist on seeing every interaction through the lens of race deserves the same warning.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Now you just warned someone in another thread about making people angry, subtly pointing out the solution to racism to people who insist on seeing every interaction through the lens of race deserves the same warning.
    You lost me here. What...? (I am asking sincerely as I don't think I get your meaning.)

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Perfect. That's what I was going to say, but not as pithily.

ETA to add my Big But: Since white culture is dominant, it unfortunately stands to reason that the effects of white racism will have a much bigger impact on the non-white community.
    If I had the chance to have a conversation -- a candid one -- I would like to ask Dr. Giovanni this: If racism will always be around as long as there are white people then how can we ever end racism?

Williamsmith
    It has nothing to do with people. At one time all the people of the world were united in humanity. After the great flood they all spoke the same language. And they were making great strides at achieving the Godly pinnacle. Then God (the plural entity) got pissed off and they (remember, plural) confused the languages and pretty much set in motion the foundation of racism. That’s the Gods honest truth, so help me God.

We'd probably have to first start valuing the content of people's characters, long long long way to go there, almost anti-American. Orange skin guy isn't in the white house due to his stellar character I suspect.
    Trees don't grow on money

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    We'd probably have to first start valuing the content of people's characters, long long long way to go there, almost anti-American. Orange skin guy isn't in the white house due to his stellar character I suspect.
    The orange one is doing a stupendous job. I approve thus far and look forward to his oratory in the House Of Representatives tonight. Tonight, Hillary Clinton expected to be making her first State Of The Union address. Half of the country is going to be in disbelief, the other half .......in disbelief.

Thread Information