Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "A Luxury Once Tasted...

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Amazon prime. I don’t buy much but I know what I want. Today I wanted coarse vermiculite for my African violet starts. Lowe’s had a package of fine vermiculite with miracle gro In it. I wanted plain. ace did not have it. After driving to both stores, almost ten miles, I logged on to Amazon prime, six dollars and a bag will be on my doorstep in a few days. I try to shop local. Last week it was Teva’s. $70for a color I did not want in the store. They could order the color I wanted and it would arrive in about two weeks. $47 at Amazon in the color I wanted.

It it makes me feel unpatriotic to not shop local and support especially small businesses, but it is a luxury that saves me time and money. Plus I try to drive very sparingly.

I produce about 1500-2000 cases of wine a year, and have been doing so for nearly 20 years now.

Some (mostly the whites) from grapes from our own vineyard, some (mostly the reds) with grapes we bring in from elsewhere.

During the course of this, I have learned quite a bit about the back-stage antics of the wine industry.

There is *very little* difference between a good $8 bottle of wine and a good $150 bottle of wine, for most people, even for wine “experts”. In fact, one of our product lines has essentially the same wine sold at widely different prices points, mostly for marketing reasons. $10 or $45, it’s the same stuff (almost). Blind-tasting of most high end wines would not identify hig-end vs. mid-range vs low-end wines.

To a first approximation.

For me, the sweet spot for wine pricing for my own consumption $8-$12/bottle range. (Much below this and you get into problems with cost-of-goods, if you reckon what the bottle/closure/label/alcohol excise tax/transportation cost, there’s not much left for the contents.)

Some years ago we repackaged several of our top sellers, nearly tripled the price, and managed to sell even more than before. We did the price increase to support paying a living wage to our workers.

Fine soap, good coffee, interesting mustard (current favorite is Raye's Brown Ginger). High quality bed linens and our heated mattress pad.

Williamsmith
    I don’t know how I could forget.......Makers Mark! It ain’t cheap.

My son works in a local family-owned chocolate shop. I am now ruined for cheap grocery store chocolate.
    I, too, enjoy the heated seats in my new-to-me Subaru. I admit I love that car more than I should love an inanimate object.
    I enjoy Peets bagged coffee, olive oils, vinegars, herbs and spices from a couple local shops.
    I guess I am at the point where I am frugal with some things in order to enjoy other things that may cost a bit more.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

My new sedan. It has many super-duper features. >700hp, 10 second 1/4 mile times, top speed 205mph stock, yada yada yada. I got it not for luxury, as it is not a luxury car, but because it was loud, fast, and stupid, and I've always liked the Rush song "Red Barchetta".

But....the unexpected luxury, which I will never go without again: it has a heated steering wheel. My carpal tunnel/tendonitis rejoice.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    I don’t know how I could forget.......Makers Mark! It ain’t cheap.
    Life is too short to drink cheap whiskey.

I am a coarse person who is perfectly happy with off-brand clothing, generic drugs, last-gen technology and fast food dining. There's nowhere on this planet i'd rather travel to than my easy chair. Live music is more trouble than it's worth. I don't see the point in coffee you have to order from a long menu. It's all just roasted beans to me. I can't understand wanting to live anywhere they self-consciously try to keep quaint or funky or weird if it costs a fortune for the privilege.

I do insist on a high-quality tipple however.
    Last edited by LDAHL; 2-1-18 at 4:56pm.

I'm all for getting acclimated to luxury.
    This is a material world, and I'm here to enjoy it.

I didn't know there were heated steering wheels! I spend money on perfume, soaps, sheets. I'm getting better about spending money for heat and AC....not worth it to me to be too cold or too hot.

I guess mostly I spend money for edibles (but I'm glad I neither drink much wine nor coffee as they are sounding much bother, fair trade organic tea bags for me ). Olive oil, California has some very fine varieties but yea kind of costly, I do spend money on that. Sure DSL and a dumb phone are necessary now (and dial up really did suck). I really should spring for safety features on a car, but since I don't buy new cars it is more you get one comes unless I got them installed. Sheets - the thing is high thread count isn't always better - it sleeps warmer than lower thread count and that's not always desirable. So I have lower thread count sheets for most of the year trying to keep cool, sleeping on flannel right now though as nights are still cold.
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information