,,,becomes a necessity."

My son told me that when I told him how, unfortunately, after the airline club gave me a free pass for 6 months, I felt I NEEDED to join... it was quieter and had nice working stations so I could work efficiently. I didn't have to fight crowds for a bite to eat--they had the "smorgasbord" of cheese, cracker, soups, salads, etc. They had newspaper and TV, and a counter where I could jump in and get great service in the case of delays or cancellations. It was a no-brainer to spend a couple of hundred dollars a year for this luxury which had become somehow a necessity.

I typically don't have a huge need for creature comforts. My DIL, a Brazilian who takes GREAT care of herself, always gives me fluffy blankets, and gift cards for manicures, and those thick socks.. I think she thinks I wear a hair shirt while flagellating myself daily.

What brings me to the topic is my BIL, who takes tremendous pleasure in creature comfort stuff. He used to work in a. high-end store in the bedding department and he talks Egyptian cotton, thread count, horse hair beds, etc. So this past week we decided we would both bring our white comforters to the cleaners--I was going to just throw mine in the big washer at the laundromat--it was $40 fake polyester down comforter from Target. But his is a Siberian down comforter that retails for several hundred dollars (he didn't pay that), so he didn't want to throw it in the wash. He brought both of the comforters to the cleaners. My bill was $30 to clean a $40 comforter. Whatever. His comforter cost more of course.

SO.. question is, what luxuries have you fallen into the trap of now needing? Define luxury however you wish. And why do you think you now "need" it. ("Need" can be interpreted loosely, too. We all know that all we REALLY need is a shelter from elements, basic food and clothes.)