Thread: and the next thing didn't work out

and the next thing didn't work out

I am really glad that I passed the teacher screening last night and I have another job I to apply for.

After I went through everything with this staff my supervisor talked to me yesterday. He said he didn't expect me to promote her and move her shifts rather than cut her loose. I felt that I documented the plan for her and her actions well, therefore while she will always need some support IMHO she had met the criteria. In talking to me he did say he had to 'own' that he did not tell me directly what to do, in fact at one point when I was on the phone asking him for feedback and advise he said he could not advise me.

Ta-da, today I got a 3 paragraph email including that he cannot supervise me when I refuse to take feedback. OMG!! I called him and presented my case before I told her what our plan was and he said he could not advise me. He did rather passively talk about how long she has been a problem and the impact on our program. I am actually scared of how amazingly different our interpretations were of this conversation. This could easily come back to me as being a documented problem employee. He is the supervisor, I can't imagine where to go or who to talk to.

As an FYI I presented a training with my former supervisor yesterday and she told me she was put on an improvement plan at the end of last year and just got off of it. I thought that out of the 3 years she was my supervisor last year was good. It seems like I am headed that way

You need to get everything in writing with this guy. So if you have a phone conversation then follow it up with an email to confirm. I would make sure anything he tells you is in writing.

I agree with TT. Incompetent supervisors are quick to blame others for their inadequate communication but are often intimidated by actual documentation of what was said. Document, document, document- every phone call, every action, every reaction with dates, times and what you perceived and did.

I agree, I am documenting as much as I can, he documented first and it was totally wrong.

I stopped by his supervisor today (I have worked with her for years, trust her about 70%) and asked what resources were available in the department or district to help with communication issues. We talked a short time, I kept it positive and solution based. but I think my body language showed some exhaustion. She actually said she would sit in with us and schedule a time next week. I feel pretty good about this, I got to add that my outlook calendar is always updated. He has said I need to keep up with my calendar and often does not check mine. So I want to make sure I am clear that for 3 years my calendar is updated with everything including drive time for personal appointments, due dates, etc.

You're doing too much. Can you stop caring about all the extras, just do the basics of your job, and go home and forget about it? Your supervisor might have problems, but you are spending way too much time and energy on it.

I honestly think if you just stop doing anything except the basics in your job description and the things he tells you to do (not all the things you bring up to him) - he will think you're good and let you alone.

I think he doesn't want your input or your thoughts. Just your cooperation with the basic program.

This guy is just exhausting. My heart goes out to you. He reminds me of my first boss out of college. The job was box office manager for a non-profit. 2 years in we were up 60% in ticket sales. I, and my small staff, were drowning in work because of course my staff was not up 60%. I was simultaneously getting beaten up by boss because we couldn't keep up with the minutiae of getting random person's tickets out or whatever, and for the fact that I was constantly asking for approval for overtime so that I could actually get it all done.

Uggggh. Thinking about this makes me realize that my current boss's boss is just as much of a worthless dick as my first boss was. The only difference between 25 years ago and now is that now I can look at the metrics of myself and my regional coworkers (sales figures and such) and see that I'm actually doing just fine in comparison to coworkers.

I wish I could offer advice beyond the good advice already offered here. Document document document. "Just an email to follow up our conversation. blah blah blah." Since I can't offer more useful help I will offer a sincere hug. And will keep thinking and praying (ok, not actually the praying bit since I"m an athiest) that you land the better job that you deserve.

I have not read the 3 paragraphs you got from the supervisor but beware assuming "not accepting feedback" is regarding the employee. If the comment was specifically surrounded by sentences about that particular employee issue then fine. But since he is a bad communicator, clarify before rushing into perhaps fruitless action.

Thread Information