Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Getting off Facebook

In my former position I once interviewed someone for an opening just because she had reached out to one of our leaders via LinkedIn. We didn't hire her, but that reach-out did get her the interview.

Yppej
    I do hear from both company talent acquisition folks and third party recruiters via LinkedIn, but all an hour plus away. And I get spam about don't you want to join our company and sell life insurance,totally not my field.

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    Is LinkedIn really of any help? Potential employers may check it but I have yet to see any indication it impresses anyone. And you will get no more job offers from it than just posting a resume on a job board. I suppose it's sole use may be trying to network with strangers working in a company you would like to work in to try to get in to a company that way. But how many are really going to friend a stranger looking for a job I wonder. And if there is a way to communicate without first adding a connection I guess I'm not aware of it.

Seems mostly useless stuff promoted as somehow being useful.
    I have major mixed feelings about Linkedin. I think it really could be something if it could only decide what it wants to be. My recurring perception of it is "Facebook for working people" because they put so much energy into liking posts or following "influencers". Whenever I log in (increasingly less frequently these days) I see an advertisement for a company that restores old boats that has absolutely zero to do with my career or interests -- and no way to remove it from my feed except to report it. I just see all of that as nonsense compared to their stated mission.

That said, while being on Facebook may not get you an interview, I think that doing a poor job on your Linkedin profile (the gray silhouette) or not vetting comments on others' posts would not be a mark in your favor.

And I have used Linkedin successfully several times. On a couple of occasions I was trying to find other companies that used some software we were interested in buying. I was able to contact an existing connection of mine to find out who in their company would be using that software and to ask that person if I could contact the user directly (rather than be some rando sending an email). That worked well. I also found a couple of high-quality candidates for a non-profit board on which I sat.

I just kind of wish they'd get rid of the Facebook-like shell on the product.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I have a full linkedin profile where my whole resume is up there yadda yadda yadda. I don't treat it like facebook. I don't like posts. I don't congratulate people on work anniversaries, etc. Every few months I tweak my resume. Beyond that I click yes to anyone who wants to friend me. My experience may be different because I have a pretty unique specialty (cyber insurance underwriting) but I do get hit up by headhunters, internal insurance company recruiters, and others who are looking to hire someone with my particular skills. Nine times out of ten I'm not even remotely interested for various reasons, but once in a while I have followed through to the point of at least an initial interview, and a couple of times more than that.

It's also a good way to keep track of people. Anymore when someone gives me a biz card it stays in my pocket until I get back to the office. I then friend them on linked in, and toss the card in the compost bin.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    ...I blocked the posts of one of my friends because she was a nasty, rabid liberal and I couldn't stand her rants anymore. And I'm a liberal! Conversely, I haven't been moved to block the posts of my conservative "Share if you think Donald Trump Deserves More Respect" friends. I just can't stand it when it escalates from opinion to vitriol.
    OK, so I posted a very harmless fun little poll today on FB: Who should I root for, because I spent equal amount of time in my life right near Philly and also in New England. Just a fun thing for Super Bowl Day.

So the above friend--while I can't see her posts because I blocked them, I forgot she can see mine. So, some of my friends responded with the levity this exercise deserved, but my buzzkill friend posted the following:

Root for the homeless persons who have been put in danger of freezing to death bec of this dumb game - -- root for the hapless tax payers who paid for that eyesore of a stadiuim that is built in such a way it kills countless migrating birds every year ---- root for the millions whose daily transportation was disrupted ALLLLLL this damn week bec of train stoppages and street closings----root for people like ME who went to a movie Friday night in the city only to find some dumb celebs had taken over the damn lobby for an event
    So, do I answer with levity and risk further diatribe from her, or just let it go? I could block that post just to keep the conversation going, but that's unnecessary censorship.
    I think I'm just going to ignore. But I may just unfriend her. She's unfriendly enough as it is, it seems.

Aside to Steve, I AM rooting for you guys in MN. I'm sorry you didn't get your own team in the stadium this week. Hope you haven't been inconvenienced the way my FB friend has!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I'd block it.

Lots of things to think about here.

Here's my most recent experience with FB. A friend moved to another state in October. She was not a very close friend, but we'd have lunch a few times a year, sometimes just the two of us, sometimes with two other women. We were part of the same (now defunct) book group. Usually this friend and her husband design Christmas cards and send them out. I figured I'd get one as per usual, except with the "here's my new address" line in addition to the usual holiday greeting.

Well, none of we three ladies heard anything from our friend. I'm a bit surprised (and borderline offended) on behalf of one of the other ladies, because her husband has cancer and she suspected she had it too (she's a breast cancer survivor and may have skin cancer--runs in the family). The other-other lady's dad is dying (he's elderly).

So I stepped up to the plate and messaged the friend who moved away on FB Messenger. "Hi, how are you? How's the new job? I hope things are working out. How are your daughters?" etc.

Got a three-line reply on Saturday. "Job is good. Glad to be in the same zip code as my spouse [they had been living apart during the job search]" and some other throwaway line.

I had a mini-meltdown. This is not entirely her fault, or anyone's fault. And perhaps it deserves its own thread. But I felt like "we've been friends for 20 years and this is all you have to say about your new life? I don't get more than three throwaway lines. Like, your email address, or snail address?"

Perhaps she no longer wants to stay in touch with anyone in the place she was so eager to move away from.

But lately I've been feeling like I have no friends, no social life, etc. and this just put the icing on the cake.

I feel that FB just exacerbates our isolation in society.

Frugalone, I was talking to my daughter about my very small number of friends, and she said “you have friends” and started listing people who I like, or who like me, or who participate in activities I participate in.

and I said “those are not friends. Friends cannot be replaced. They leave a hole in your life if they leave or die.”

dd said my standards are too high.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    Frugalone, I was talking to my daughter about my very small number of friends, and she said “you have friends” and started listing people who I like, or who like me, or who participate in activities I participate in.

and I said “those are not friends. Friends cannot be replaced. They leave a hole in your life if they leave or die.”

dd said my standards are too high.
    I agree with your daughter. Friends are like blessings that come into your life. Sometimes they stay and sometimes they move on to share their lives with others. I am just grateful for my friends at any point in time and try to be a blessing that they cherish as I cherish them.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I think I'm just going to ignore. But I may just unfriend her. She's unfriendly enough as it is, it seems.

Aside to Steve, I AM rooting for you guys in MN. I'm sorry you didn't get your own team in the stadium this week. Hope you haven't been inconvenienced the way my FB friend has!
    Sounds like your friend lives somewhere around here. Lots of details only someone who lives around here would know about Minneapolis hosting the Superb Owl (MT)...

I would ignore your friend's comment. Depending on exactly where she lives, she may have endured weeks of closed streets, altered transit routes, and pre-emption of local amenities as visions of dollar signs from visitors flash in the heads of local businesspeople. The Vikings loss still stings a bit (even for bandwagon fans). And The People's Stadium (seriously, that's how they billed this pleasure palace) still leaves a bad taste in plenty of peoples' mouths for how it arrived. There's plenty to be unhappy about if one has a mind to be.

We haven't been as inconvenienced as your Fb friend has. After all (as CNN has been telling the world), we live in St. Paul, a suburb of Minneapolis. There have been some Superb Owl (MT) events here as the annual Winter Carnival was held over a week to capture throngs of visitors. But it's been manageable.

Without ranging too far off-topic, I've been rather amused watching Minneapolis enjoy its "star turn" while it deals with its deep and long-standing inferiority complex. And, not-so-secretly, I'm pleased that we got three or four inches of snow yesterday and the temperature is hovering around zero as I write this. You wanna visit Minneapolis? This is what life is like. Trash-talk the weather when you get home if you want; it keeps here the people who love living here and don't really want to live anyplace else. Minneapolis likes to think it can take on bigger American cities; I'm content to enjoy what we have here.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thread Information