Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Getting rid of a large piece of furniture

The older I get, the more I am looking for furniture that I can move and maneuver on my own, especially something as simple as moving the couch to clean under it/behind it, etc. I'm actually working towards eventually ditching a couch altogether for a couple chairs instead.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    The older I get, the more I am looking for furniture that I can move and maneuver on my own, especially something as simple as moving the couch to clean under it/behind it, etc.
    We have two sets of those "furniture movers" -- plastic discs with either foam or rubber on the other side. Shove those underneath the corners of the furniture and you can move anything by yourself. Only thing I've ever seen "as advertised on TV!" that actually worked as promised (but I bought them open-box at Goodwill).
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

It would depend on how you define move by yourself. Steve above has one idea, that differs from mine, as I think move by myself also means loading, unloading, getting through doors, etc. (not just cleaning/moving)
    I haven't had a couch in years. I'd like to, but those who I could have in years past, got help with moving it, all have medical/physical ailments that prevent their help. I've thought about some sort of futon (still would like to be able to lay in front of a movie), but haven't found any I was happy with. (would like the underside to be hollow for storage) I saw a link some time ago (may have been that Anna White trailer) where someone made cushions, to go on a box, and could make something like that modular enough, that I could move it myself, and like neighbors did in the 20's, in those bungalow's, gives useful storage. (growing up, pretty much all ottoman's were storage)

I do have an older set of something similar under our little love seat right now. They do help with moving for vacuuming, etc. I'll have to look for some more. Thanks.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

To physically move stuff we have lots of affordable labor locally such as day laborers. They will do just about any type of work that is available.

Ok, the alley gods came through yesterday as I knew they would. On
    Nextdoor someone posted about free bedside tables in the alley. Only 27 minutes had elapsed since he posted, so DH and I jumped into the truck to get them. They were still there, and they are good for my purposes.

That haul finished the basic set of furniture we need for our weekend house. I KNEW I could get bedside tables because I have been shopping the alleys for years, and I know what people throw away.

Total money spent on weekend house furniture consisting of dining table,, 6 hard chairs, 4 upholstered chairs, kitchen table, bedside tables with drawers, tv stand: $105, with more than half of that donation and tips. We also have losts of patio furniture around here so will be moving some of that to Hermann, MO weekend house.

We will be buying two beds and washer, dryer, freezer. That wont be cheap, however. I dont want to mess around with used items unless something falls into our lap. We let a used refrigerator go sme months ago because we didnt know we would have another house. We could have used thatbin the basement.

Great haul, IL! I responded to an ad for a free queen mattress & box spring but it had already been taken and had a waiting list. But I did find a funky headboard on Craigslist or $70.

Our big haul this weekend was a John Boos 48 x 24 butcher block island. They go for $1700. We found one in our favorite consignment shop for $495. DH talked him down to $375 cash. It's in great condition. We have no counter space in our new house, so this will be perfect. Plus DH has always wanted a real butcher block.

Looks just like this: https://butcherblockco.com/product/j...kitchen-island

I'll continue to read my freecycle listings for other stuff.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Great haul, IL! I responded to an ad for a free queen mattress & box spring but it had already been taken and had a waiting list. But I did find a funky headboard on Craigslist or $70.

Our big haul this weekend was a John Boos 48 x 24 butcher block island. They go for $1700. We found one in our favorite consignment shop for $495. DH talked him down to $375 cash. It's in great condition. We have no counter space in our new house, so this will be perfect. Plus DH has always wanted a real butcher block.

Looks just like this: https://butcherblockco.com/product/j...kitchen-island

I'll continue to read my freecycle listings for other stuff.
    That island IS nice!

We are just gathering temporary furniture. After we do major renovations at our weekend house I will get better furniture but not necessarily NEW furniture.

Thread Information