Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting rid of a large piece of furniture

Yeah, I am at least 10 years too late in getting anything near the price paid for it. Mine had a 26" CRT but I am now using a 32" HDTV. Repurposing the wood is a great idea too.

Quote Originally Posted by mschrisgo2 View Post
    I agree, Freecycle or craigslist for free. Also, I know several people who have recently acquired such pieces for fabric storage, so if you have a quilt shop in the area, you might see if they have a community bulletin board or other way to post a Free notice. Sometimes Starbucks has a community board, look around for other places, maybe make a half-sheet flyer with a picture.
    That's exactly what I was thinking. It doesn't HAVE to be an entertainment center, but a great area for other storage. Bedding, add shelves and use for folded clothing. Anything. If you freecycle it put it out there for free, I bet you will have a taker than can get it out of your house.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Yes I have cut things into pieces so they will fit in the trash.
    That is what I do when possible since our new trash service will not take large items as did our previous service. If we have a large recyclable or salvage item,I sit it at the end of the drive and someone take it but anything that can be deconstructed or smashed apart goes in the trash cart bit by bit until gone.

Oh gee......someone would LOVE that! I actually have a big old entertainment center with my big old TV in it! I still love it, but it weighs a ton. good luck finding someone who will love it (and come and get it!)

WE have one in our bedroom that I use for storage. The thrift stores will not take them anymore or china cabinets.

I took that bad boy apart with a reciprocating saw. Most of it was not real wood. Only the small base frame, the small drawer, and some of the "molding" pieces were wood. The largest side pieces were some sort of very dense and heavy non-wood. And some were typical particle board. I was surprised but don't remember the claims. I wonder what the industry ethics are when marketing something as "real" wood.

take a look on Pinterest, they recycle as wine bars, closets for kiddie clothes, kitchen storage, etc.

I know this will sound snobby, but I always thought these modern “entertainment centers” were hideous. And now they are hard to get rid of, no real surprise.

The great old Victorian armoires made of solid, identifiable wood, break down for easy transport. At least, all of the ones I know do. I dont own one however. I love the old burl walnut wardrobes/armoires but have come to the end of my stint of large furniture buying.

Too many of these beauties were mangled when decorators cut out the back so that tube tvs could poke out, ugh, that was a travesty.

Speaking of old brown furniture, I recently bought a lingerie chest since I had been jonesing for one and I do need somethng in our weekend house (although this may stay in our city house while another chest goes to
    Hermann.)

A classicly proportioned lingerie chest does not take up much floor space because it is verticle, not horizontal.

Anyway, I learned from the antiques seller that she cant keep lingerie chests and bedside tables stocked.

So for those of you who have to jettison furniture, keep this tip in mind. Of course, this could be only a regional market issue.

We have been having to buy furniture bit by bit since we got rid of so much from the old house. I thought I made a mistake buying a solid pine glass-doored china cabinet from Goodwill when we first got here as it looked "Colorado cabinish". However, it turned out to be a most useful piece while the kitchen is torn up. It is now storing food, dishes, silverware, pots and pans all in one place. I have developed a fear of moving furniture after all this upheaval.

Thread Information