Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: February Purge

Recently we've been going to the Goodwill on their half-price Saturdays. But my policy is to also bring something to donate, even if it's one item, so I'm continuing the purge of unwanted items. We buy small items like puzzles, or recently I've bought some birdhouses to paint and use as decoration on a long brown fence.
    This Saturday I'll have 10 items to donate, so we are ahead in releasing the old and bringing in any new.

Got rid of a mini-fridge I had to remove from my office at work, and a neighbor came and carted away a playhouse that is now more age-appropriate for his daughter than for mine. Also took 8 items to the local charity thrift store.

New total for month: 116.

I purged 2 clothing items from my closet yesterday.
    In my sister's world, there is a "nook" in the lobby of her condo where people put rather nice items that are no longer wanted. Helped Sis drop off some brand new with tags Teddy Bears on our way out today. I'm sure there is a story to go with her acquisition of said bears, but haven't heard it yet. There is a cute little girl who lives in her building, so we're hoping she gets them.

Today I threw out some old calendar pages, brought a book to the library to donate to their sale table, three magazines, four Christmas cards. I also started deleting personal information from my Palm Pilot. Remember them? I don't know who would want it. I don't know if Best Buy would take it, or the Salvation Army.

I feel as though I had victories today. I walked away from 3 piles in alleys, but it was HARD!

I picked up an attractive lamp base for a flower dedign thingie but put it down, thinking it was shaped like the thingI threw away last week. I carefully looked over a cheapie Ikea MDF type end table but rejected it because I really want drawers. I fussed over a headboard and footboard that, utimately, looked as though it was broken.

so,
    I did not bring any of this crap into my sphere. Eventually I’ll get the items I really need.

Iris Lilies, I call those kinds of decisions "pre-cluttering." Good for you for recognizing none of those things was exactly what you wanted. Rosarugosa and frugalone, it seems like you both are getting a fair amount done.

I returned a Tupperware to a friend and also passed on a nicely framed Picasso print to her. New total for month: 118.

Yesterday I succumbed to a dining room table in a industrial dumpster. I saw it,asked permission to take it, and ran home to get DH to load it into our truck. It was free but I handed out $15 to guys who helped load it. Later, I teased a neighbor across the street as she was hauling in a new chair with price tag “hey, you should just go across the street and grab some of that furniture they are throwing away!”and she replied “there is a great table in the dumpster, did you see it?” And I was able to tell her that we had already bagged it.

it is a mahogany type table that seats 6. It is exactly what I knew i could get for free if I waited long enough and was vigilent in checking dumpsters and alleys.

Now, i need bedside stands, at least one, and I need two kitchen type chairs. These will be found in the alleys, I just know it. And still need two more upholstered chairs and these I will probably be able to get free if I watch neighborhood freebie listings.

I read here how you can use your old Amazon boxes to send stuff to Goodwill so I loaded two giant boxes with puzzles that I know I won't do again. Then I got a call from AMVETS and they came and picked it up for me so I didn't even have to drive ! I still have two tubs of puzzles that I will do over again. As long as AMVETS was coming , I got rid of five pair of socks and 3 shirts 4 pair of shoes that were pretty new but hurt my feet. I decided I will never wear uncomfortable shoes anymore! Life is too short!

Iris Lilies, I envy your dining room table find! Congrats!

Debbie, wow! You got rid of a lot, and I applaud your decision to cut uncomfortable shoes out of your life.

I guess this counts as a purge/declutter project. I have had a Longaberger recipe basket for years but never really used it. I just finished up going through a recipe binder and small index card box of recipes, culled the ones I wanted to keep and ditched the rest. The binder and index card box are in the donation box. Now - if I only knew what to make for dinner tonight... LOL.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information