Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: February Frugals

February Frugals

Okay already Feb 5 and I didn't see this post so here goes.

This is th Challenge Dd and I have given ourselves. So far it is 3 weeks and we are doing really good!

I KNOW that over the years, months, and days of posting here I have had an on going theme of eating down and I said 2018 would be the YEAR!
    Dd and I sat down and had a good talk about why it keeps piling up and came to some conclusions.

Also, 2018 seems like it is going to be my year for conclusions....lol
    To give us credit I have lost some weight( and am eating healthier due it health issues) and she has lost a large amount and has bad gastric issues (special diet now)
    so we eat way differently and way less. BUT, we are still shopping like we did before.
    And, we are great bargain shoppers very good at the deals.

So we have challenged ourselves to only buy a few fresh salads, eggs, and milk till March 31. What is left in the big freezer that doesn't fit in the 2 smaller ones is going
    to be donated or gasp tossed. I know that is radical but, (if it languishing in there it is garbage) I would like to get down to just having the 2 fridges in the house,
    right now we each have our own fridge and share a large freezer.
    The one fridge needs to be replaced and I will replace it with a larger one later.
    I actually made a loaf of bread this week and it was good. Because of course I had all the ingredients in the house.
    We don't even need a lot of fruit and veggies because I put lots down in the fall. Lots of meat!
    The idea is that having a consequence seems to be making us look at what we have and make meals with that instead of buying more.
    And, surprise, surprise there was more money in the bank at the end of Jan.

1. Eating down
    2. More decluttering and giving away this week.

Danna: That is a great challenge! We only have the small freezer that is part of our fridge, but we have it stuffed and can't even see what we have in there. We resisted buying haddock this past weekend because we knew we had plenty of good stuff to eat for weekend entrees.
    We did break down and buy a new TV. The one we replaced is about 25 years old and the audio kept cutting out. We mainly use it for DVDs from the library, and DH had to keep hitting the TV while we watched a movie the other night. That does not enhance our viewer experience! This has been going on for some time, so we bought a 24" TV for $135., which I think is actually pretty modest in the modern world of new televisions.

U didn't have an overall frugalnweekend, as it was MonsterJam. We bought these tickets as part of Christmas for the grandsons at dd's request for experiences for the boys. That event is big bucks!

We had the boys from Friday through Sunday afternoon. Sunday morning I ran out for milk and grabbed two boxes of donuts ( which I didn't eat) and juice as well. Fed the boys AND their parents for nine dollars. We couldn't eat out for less than $50. Savings! When paired with fresh fruit salad it's an ok morning starter, and I call it a win.

Friday night we had build your own pizzas, and I think I spent $11??? Again, happy kids and happy wallet.

Sunday night, instead of the sports bar for a Super Bowl party, we picked up a rotisserie chicken and I made coleslaw and more of the fruit salad. I really wanted wings, but they were out. I did find a good buffalo chicken dip, and that's on the menu this week for dinner.

Yppej
    I negotiated the 60,00 mile service on my car down from $550 to $147 plus tax, appointment booked and confirmed in writing.

Yay, Yppej! Good work in getting that price down!

Nothing much frugal this week. Made more chicken soup from freezer parts and veggies in the fridge on the verge of hitting the composter. Was going to take a continuing-ed class in furniture refinishing (frugal!) until I learned from the instructor that "refinishing" meant "slap a coat of chalk paint on it". Nice if you like that kind of thing; it would be criminal to do that to the furniture I have in mind. So I'm not taking the class (even more frugal!). Won a $10 Target gift card for responding to a survey.

I won't discuss the stuff that's using up all the money we're saving ...
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

We are eating down the pantry, too. The pantry, and the freezer. DH is an absolute squirrel the way he stores things away. This afternoon I found three cans of cherries and it isnt clear from what year. I do love sour cherries so
    I shouldnt have a problem in using them up.

---Yesterday was a stay in day nothing needed out so I cleaned my house, read and researched a
    few items to sell on ebay and Kijiji.
    ---Ate a wonderful curry from the freezer for lunch and an omelet from stuff on hand for supper.
    --months ago I bought a very large jar of dried Gourmet Organic mushrooms for Costco (Yes, it is large..lol but, the whole jar was only $10.00 so I couldn't resist it
    see this is a good part of my problem...lol...) and had not used any,
    So I followed the directions carefully and hydrated some for the omelet. They are very tasty but, the texture is different.
    They will be very nice used in mixed dishes not for things like fried mushrooms.
    --Did a few things on my desk that I was NOT doing. 1. Ordered free cheques for bank account. 2. Sent a letter with information that should get me
    hold on to your hats a whole $2.66 a month extra on my hospital pension. But, hey money is money.
    --was home to receive the call from doctors that my yearly mammogram is good (still needed one on remaining breast) and since I have no more
    symptoms and I am not having issues with the pills they put me on. I will see them at the
    Cancer Clinic for a 3 month visit in April 2018 and go to 1 year visits after that. This is a relief...life goes on and I can move forward.

All in all a very productive day and I am feeling very rested today, that is always frugal because then I don't spend.
    Have a good day all!

Glad for your good news from the doctor, Danna!

The last time we ate down our chest freezer I sold it afterwards) I figured that a freezer in our refrigerator is enough for 2 old people. Then we moved and the people left an old fridge in the garage that DH will not let me get rid of. Occasionally he buys more then what will fit in ours and we use it. When it dies we won't replace it. Every once in a while we eat our pantry down too because it is amazing what can get bought and not eaten.

I have a huge bag of dried mushrooms; I always tend to buy the giant economy size. At any rate, this is one way to use them up:

https://nomnompaleo.com/post/1053335...y-holiday-gift

Thread Information