Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: February Frugals

Yppej
    Yes, it was Wet and Forget we used before. Thanks.

We found that the second time we used wet and forget, it worked faster. I think it must fill the pores somehow. I tell EVERYONE about it!

Our 10 dollar Goodwill vhs/dvd combo finally ate the library Hemingway in Michigan video and I had to pry it out of there with a Swiss Army knife, which means the combo unit had to go. The dvd part had not been working well anyway.
    Went to Goodwill and for 5 dollars found a Toshiba DVD player dated 2003 and it works beautifully, all the functions work with the universal remote, so now I can skip to different episodes on the library videos.
    When the combo broke, I went out and looked at new dvd players and they were 40-60 dollars, so this was a great frugal victory, as the new-old one works so much better than the first.

Yppej
    Excellent Tybee!

Feb
    --Dr's appt downtown so took the bus and was able to use transfer to come home. NO Parking!
    Other then that it was another NO Spend day
    And, of course eating from freezer. Didn't get around to making the soup so froze the bones from this
    weeks chicken to use another day.

Nice, Tybee!

Some years ago we bought a used TV and a Blu-Ray player. The TV died relatively quickly but the Blu-Ray player went on another few years. Shopping for a replacement, we found prices for new players competitive with prices for used players -- and new ones came with a warranty. So we bought a refurbished 95%-plastic Samsung Blu-Ray about the size -- and weight! -- of a trade paperback book. It's placed atop a 15-year-old CD player that has a metal cabinet and a machined-aluminum face. I'm placing bets on which player is going to last longer...

Frugals:
    - Still working through the freezer. Also saving money by not even walking down the frozen-food aisle. We don't need it!
    - Taxes are in. A few hundred back from the IRS; less than $20 to the state. Not bad. Considering a change from our accountant to tax software, though. For as much time as I spend prepping our "shoebox" for the CPA, I could buy lots of copies of TurboTax and just answer their questions. Might just buy a copy this year, plug in the data, and see how its results compare to the "official" results.
    - Still combining rewards, rebates, and coupons for stuff we need (dog food, batteries, coffee,...). Earned another Target gift card for a survey response; I'll bank that with the others.
    - I've moved my car only twice this week. Doesn't mean I haven't spent money, but I didn't need to put wear on the car and burn fuel.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Yppej
    Cashed in my cash back from my credit card company to reduce a little the car maintenance bill when it comes in.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post

-Considering a change from our accountant to tax software, though. For as much time as I spend prepping our "shoebox" for the CPA, I could buy lots of copies of TurboTax and just answer their questions. Might just buy a copy this year, plug in the data, and see how its results compare to the
    Sorry, chopped the quote - we did this three years ago, and we had a match with TT and the costly accountant. Plus, we had to discuss each year what changes we could do to have different effects. Any of which did not amount to a hill of beans saved.

I've really tried to cut out food waste, and so far this month, the only food that was tossed was a little bit of DH's applesauce that had molded. I don't eat grocery-store applesauce, so that was on him . We have some sour milk, but the outside cats take care of that, so I don't consider it "waste". Of course there were plenty of NON-frugals this month, but I'm only listing "wins"! Haven't had taxes done yet - they stress me totally, even though we only have the standard deduction- so we use the AARP free tax prep people. So that's a future frugal, lol

Yppej
    I have been wanting boat shoes but wouldn't pay $50 at DSW. I found them at Walmart for $12.94. They are not as fancy but will do for spring casual Fridays.

This has been a very expensive month due to the government. I have paid property taxes, Federal and state income taxes with my filings, and car registration in addition to the usual paycheck withholdings, sales tax, gas tax, and phone bill tax. Any day now my excise tax bill should come.

Thread Information