Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
There are also other things you could do to be out of the house besides work, like concerts, or getting together with friends, or a museum, or classes. Sounds like you might want some balance in your life, and something that adds to your enjoyment instead of just tiring you out.

My husband is on the negative side but not anywhere the level you are dealing with. When I've had enough, I say "enough negativity, let's talk about something else" and if that doesn't work I go into another room and do something different. Not saying that will work for you, but maybe you could try it as an experiment. If you've been putting up with this for 20 years, he may have no idea how he sounds.
Yes, I do some of these things. He gets very resentful if I spend time with other people because my free time is so limited. He is of the opinion that I should be spending it with him. But I do sometimes treat myself to a fun day at the movies or a museum. Of course, he is very critical of any friends that I have so I try not to talk about them if I can help it.