Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 65,000 reasons to not hire a cleaning service

65,000 reasons to not hire a cleaning service

I posted this many years ago under '28,000 reasons not to hire a cleaning service'. I think it bears repeating.

Many years ago when I was a wage slave, (with spouse and two kids), I hired a cleaning service because I got zero help and/or support from spouse and kids. After a few months, it felt like I was throwing my money away.

I decided to suck it up and pay myself to do the cleaning. I had money directly deposited from each paycheck into a special deferred compensation account. My goal was to have travel and fun money for when I retired.

Because the market has performed very well over the past 9 years, the account balance is now over $65,000! I've got some fun trips planned for myself this year.

Yes, I did work myself to exhaustion when I was younger, but I can now enjoy the fruits of that labor.

Clever planning! Enjoy the fruits of all your labour.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

That's impressive Molly. Enjoy!!!

wow, Molly, that's wonderful. Does your family see this as "your" money too? (was wondering if they are now resentful seeing this substantial amount you've put aside). Good for you!

Love this! I've held off on cleaning help also, sometimes to the detriment of my ability to feel comfortable inviting people over at any minute, but I also feel that cleaning isn't THAT big a task for someone like me who works from home. I can slip in chores during the day, like laundry, or swabbing out the bathroom or doing dishes.

I also think that cleaning is decent exercise. I notice that when I spend the day cleaning I get to 10k steps on my Fitbit in no time. So why would I hire someone to clean and go to the gym? Save the gym money, save the housekeeping money and get two-for-one benefits.

It's amazing that you were able to save $65,000!!! Thanks for sharing!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I think that is so cool that you actually saved your savings! So often savings just kind of evaporate into the general household budget. Enjoy spending it!

This s amazing, thanks for sharing!

That is awesome! Even though I am semi-retired I ended up having to hire someone to clean our 2 bathrooms and sweep/scrub our hardwood floors every month because it would throw my back out and I would spend more $ then what they charge at the chiropractor. I tried to get DH to do it but I got sick of nagging him) However, for many years I did all the cleaning an d it is good exercise. Catherine, if you keep your house picked up and neat people won't notice if it's not that clean. I really only notice people's clutter.

I do exactly what Teacher Terry is doing. Once a month they come in and deep clean the floors, bathrooms, vacuum the furniture and dust. It isn't that I couldn't do the deep stuff but I don't want to. I much prefer the yard work and I hate deep cleaning.
    I also noted with my parents house when they began to slide on keeping things neat and clean. After having to chip through all of that it was another decision made that I didn't want to become Mrs Havisham.

I actually have a roomba vacuum and a robot floor mopper that I use the weeks the cleaners don't come. I love technology. SM: I know what you mean about people's cleaning slips as they age and I find my floors really need a good scrubbing once/month. My cleaners get on their hands/knees so it is done well.

Thread Information