Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is SS to blame for so many men dying at 62av

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar

Is SS to blame for so many men dying at 62av

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2018/0...ing-at-62.html

interesting Fox News article, especially in contrast to the previous thread about retiring early

since I trust no cable news channels, if this is propaganda designed to sow the thought that social security is bad so politicians can justify cutting it , or if it is a reasonable thought process. However one of the researchers of the study is from Cornell so I would imagine he has good credibility.

Amazing how skeptical I have become of all these polls, studies and surveys.

not sure what the av means after 62 but I can’t fix the typo.

Williamsmith
    No researcher can know the medical condition of the subjects in their study to a degree of certainty necessary to make such a conclusion. By my observation, many of those who retire at 62 and choose to begin SS payments have been struggling for years with significant health problems and would have died while still employed if there was no SS. Continuing to work at a job that does not enrich you....will kill you as fast as being sedentary. And who says living a few more years hating your job....is better than checking out early anyway?

I’m not seeing what social security has to do with it beyond concentrating retirement age around 62. So we should delay social security to concentrate retirement age later? I’m guessing that if you did that, there would be an even higher percentage of men dying the year they retire, because health problems would be worse with increased age and older retirees would (on average) be even more likely to become sedentary and antisocial.

what the article says to me is “quit smoking, get a check up, start a doctor approved exercise program, find some stuff that interests you and maybe make some friends.”

Chicken lady: what the article says to me is “quit smoking, get a check up, start a doctor approved exercise program, find some stuff that interests you and maybe make some friends.”

So I say to my overworking, phone going off at all hours, checking updates at 4am husband: You won't retire because then you would have to focus on your own self and health and smoking.

There are certain things one hears over and over in all media that I wonder about. Two that come to mind are get your flu shot (even though it doesn't guarantee anything) and delay SS as long as you can. It's as if there is some agenda behind them as they are repeated so often.

Perhaps SS is the problem. Instead of forcing people to struggle to 62 to retire maybe the retirement age should be dropped to 55, since the other study found that people who retire at 55 live to be 80 on average. THen all these sickly men could stop working before their jobs completely destroy their health.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Perhaps SS is the problem. Instead of forcing people to struggle to 62 to retire maybe the retirement age should be dropped to 55, since the other study found that people who retire at 55 live to be 80 on average. THen all these sickly men could stop working before their jobs completely destroy their health.
    the other story was very old, had been circulating the internet for years and was debunked. I gave links.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    No researcher can know the medical condition of the subjects in their study to a degree of certainty necessary to make such a conclusion. By my observation, many of those who retire at 62 and choose to begin SS payments have been struggling for years with significant health problems and would have died while still employed if there was no SS. Continuing to work at a job that does not enrich you....will kill you as fast as being sedentary. And who says living a few more years hating your job....is better than checking out early anyway?
    Yes, you can interpret many studies to support your assumptions. Who knows

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    the other story was very old, had been circulating the internet for years and was debunked. I gave links.
    The reality is that neither article seemed to point to any proof of causation, only correlation coupled with speculation.

Oh yeah, not a really great article. I love the comment that they are more at risk because they drive more. My parents retired and are so busy now with volunteer and small paid jobs. My dad actually went from driving as a traveling salesman to driving for a blood bank. So lots of driving risk!

Thread Information