Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Retire at 55 and live to 80

I find it interesting that the word retire has so many different meanings. To some it seems to mean a certain age and activity level. When I announced my plans to retire at 55 there were so many who talked to me and asked me why I would do such a thing. Why would I leave money on the table instead of working three more years? It was as if I was doing something crazy like entering the desert without water. Several told me they couldn't possibly do it because they would be too bored. What ????
    I don't understand that kind of thinking. I have never regretted going early, I had planned it for years. I have never been bored. Perhaps some people really need structure supplied by somebody else for their day. Not me.. I didn't retire and then find myself at home with nothing to do. All retirement meant to me is that I had a pension that covered my needs and almost all of my wants. I no longer have to work for money which frees me to work as a volunteer for programs that are important and interesting to me. I get to travel far and wide, structuring my time as it suits me. I get to spend time with people I care about and help where I can. I had good fortune but I also had long vision and planned for it financially as well as intellectually and emotionally. I'm hardly sitting at home sinking into the couch cushions watching Judge Judy.

DMC: I also find it sad that the VP worked right up until he died-ugh! I hope your wife has many healthy, happy years left. I had a good friend beat stage 4 ovarian cancer 8 times during 18 years. She was able to vacation etc until about 1 1/2 years before she died.

Yppej
    Well my retirement just got further away. My new job gives me the same take home pay as the previous one due to a great benefits package, but I gross less, and my projected SS benefits have gone down from last year by $5 per month if I retire at 62, $30 per month if I retire at 70, and $20 per month if I retire at 67 my full retirement age.

Has anyone taken a second job for the purpose of upping their SS earnings? I don't think I have the energy for that with my commute but the thought has crossed my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    I find it interesting that the word retire has so many different meanings. To some it seems to mean a certain age and activity level. When I announced my plans to retire at 55 there were so many who talked to me and asked me why I would do such a thing. Why would I leave money on the table instead of working three more years? It was as if I was doing something crazy like entering the desert without water. Several told me they couldn't possibly do it because they would be too bored. What ????
    I don't understand that kind of thinking. I have never regretted going early, I had planned it for years. I have never been bored. Perhaps some people really need structure supplied by somebody else for their day. Not me.. I didn't retire and then find myself at home with nothing to do. All retirement meant to me is that I had a pension that covered my needs and almost all of my wants. I no longer have to work for money which frees me to work as a volunteer for programs that are important and interesting to me. I get to travel far and wide, structuring my time as it suits me. I get to spend time with people I care about and help where I can. I had good fortune but I also had long vision and planned for it financially as well as intellectually and emotionally. I'm hardly sitting at home sinking into the couch cushions watching Judge Judy.
    Your post reminded me of when my father retired 25 years ago. He was the stereotypical person with no real interests to keep him busy once he retired. Mom had been a housewife for decades and had developed a very structured routine of chores to keep things humming along smoothly. The house was always spotless and dinner served promptly at 5:30 day in and day out. The first few months after dad retired he followed her around and offered "advice" on better ways to do things. Eventually she had to sit him down and kindly explain that he needed to find something to do with his time that didn't involve telling her how to do what she'd been doing for several decades. He eventually settled on taking a long walk every morning and then catching the bus home once he was tired of walking. Not an amazing hobby (Denver isn't really that interesting...) but it served it's purpose. It got him out of mom's hair while she did her thing, and it gave him something to talk about after he returned.

jp1 my parents were similar. Mom dreaded my dad retiring because she loved having the house to herself. My husband had a stroke 6 months after I retired and wasn't able to return to work. His work friends faded away since he wasn't working and they were all motorcycle riders and he couldn't do that either. When he finally got back on his feet I suggested volunteering for Meals on Wheels. It would help him with remembering addresses, names and orders. Unfortunately, I started it with him with the intention of dropping out and letting him go it alone and ended up loving it and staying. So much for some time alone........ (totally worth it though, we have a blast doing it)

Thread Information