I remember when we moved my grandparents into assisted living. Grandmother insisted it was temporary and she was taking everything with her. We had to unload their entire house into a tiny one bedroom patio apartment. We were dealing with a lot of personality changes due to her strokes. The entire living room was stuffed to the ceiling. Only when management came by and insisted they couldn't stay there if all the stuff was staying and definitely couldn't do long-term storage on the tiny covered patio would she allow us to take away some things "on loan". I have her rocking chair "on loan" though she's been gone now 25 years. She never had to deal with nursing home the next stroke took her. Grandfather enjoyed the assisted living but as he aged, especially after being hit in the head by a car, he lost all the appliances in the apartment then had to move to nursing home for final year.

So sorry. It's so stressful to deal with loss in all it's forms. Loss of independence, loss of capabilities, loss of personality, loss of freedom of all involved, loss of life.