Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: African violets anyone?

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar

African violets anyone?

Anyone grow African violets? I picked up a few six months ago and have become fascinated. There is so much info on the Internet, including forums and Facebook groups. People all over trade, have shows etc. I am going to a show later today. Just like other plant groups, like IrisLillies sometimes talks about, the sky is the limit. There are Russian violets, big ones, trailers, miniatures, ruffle or variegated leaves, very old varieties people are trying to preserve, and a stunning array of colors. Easy to propagate and grow once you figure it out.

This is is what I love Facebook for. I don’t care about what people are eating or about their perfect lives. I love the contact with other people who love what you do.

I tried for years to grow African violets but eventually treated them as disposable flowers. Finally in my present home, I have a north facing window and I have 4 plants thriving happily. I bring them out in rotation to the dining table for a decoration and then return them to the north window. I have been cautious about taking on too many.

I tried to keep orchids for a few years because I really love them but indoor conditions are not right. I gave my struggling 3 'orchid children' to my neighbour and they are thriving with large beautiful blooms in her house. Not sure what is different.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

yes, I had them for several years in the work place.

The most beautiful and the longest blooming were the ones on top of a high filing cabinet under office lighting.

Light plays a large role in the blooming.

It is best to have the pots that are watered from below.

They like to be in a small pot (crazy, I know)

Never put water on the leaves.

The African Violet liquid fertilizer is good.

I gave up on them soon after moving from that location.

Good luck.

ps, if growing at home there are hints online about which window to put them in. East-West-North-South, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    Anyone grow African violets? I picked up a few six months ago and have become fascinated. There is so much info on the Internet, including forums and Facebook groups. People all over trade, have shows etc. I am going to a show later today. Just like other plant groups, like IrisLillies sometimes talks about, the sky is the limit. There are Russian violets, big ones, trailers, miniatures, ruffle or variegated leaves, very old varieties people are trying to preserve, and a stunning array of colors. Easy to propagate and grow once you figure it out.

This is is what I love Facebook for. I don’t care about what people are eating or about their perfect lives. I love the contact with other people who love what you do.

Ditto you last quote on FB! My aunt had the most wonderful collection of African violets, me never had the touch. Yesterday at the nursery rolling over the seeds arriving for spring (12 inches of snow today) I looked at the lovely little violets. Maybe I should try again.

Williamsmith
    I feel like African Violets were very popular in the 1970s. At least, I remember them in all my relatives houses.

I had one for a really long time and it was lovely. It was a pass-along plant from one of my mother's friends. I should probably try one again. My DH calls them "friggin violets."

I had one from my grandmother's house. It was about 15-16 inches across, potbound, and it bloomed all the time. She once told me they only bloom because they're stressed.

But I was watering it all the time because it was so huge. I unwisely decided to try and re-pot it, and it didn't survive. Guess that was being too kind to it. I did love it. She (then I) always had it in a west-facing window.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Just updating this thread to see how everyone is doing. I love fresh flowers and was buying them every few weeks.

Since I have been rotating my violets and they are thriving so well, I have not felt compelled to buy any fresh flowers to my total surprise.

It could also be that spring has brought colour from outside into my home.
    Everything is so lush and green with the succession of blooms coming regularly.

Gave away one of my white violets to a friend so on the lookout for a new unique colour. Any advice?

I bought one that was on the verge of expiring several months, maybe a year ago. It recovered, grew, bloomed and was beautiful. Then it regressed. Yellow leaves, (not over watering and only from the bottom), not many blooms etc. So after trimming off old leaves more than once, I now have a very small plant with nice green leaves but no flowers. I recently moved it to a window that faces East. The area it was in before faced North, but I can't see any difference. I would like for it to recover and bloom, but so far there are only the little leaves.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

Thread Information