My simple arthroscopic knee surgery was last Halloween and I am still in physical therapy for it (I had re-injured it a week and a half after surgery). I have been basically working on strengthening and my apparently bad walking bio-mechanics and muscle imbalances. I have worked very hard at home to always do my exercises and was finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

Last week I decided to go to the Tucson Gem Shows and made arrangements to camp using a website called Hipcamp (like AirBnb for campers). I was so excited to go on a road trip and to set up my tent, though I was a little nervous about my ability to crawl in and out of the tent. That part of the trip went very well, camping proved to be easier than I thought and my knee did very well, considering how much walking I did around Tucson. After I left Tucson, I made a side trip to Bisbee but realized as I was walking around the hilly streets that my knee was getting a little sore. So I continued driving on, heading north and east to make my way home. Spent the night in a funky little motel room in Rodeo, NM (in the middle of nowhere but BEAUTIFUL). I would have camped but it was getting down into the 30's at night and that is just too cold for me.

That night I kind of felt like I was getting sick; thinking maybe I caught the flu while among the hordes at the gem shows. The next day I was somewhat better but I needed to get back to Madrid so I continued on my way. By the time I got to Truth or Consequences I was feeling pretty yukky again; even though I was only three hours from home I decided to get a cheap motel room and just rest for the remainder of the day and night. I remember thinking when I woke up at around 4am to use the bathroom that I was surprised at how comfortable the bed was in this cheap, ugly $50 room. I then fell back asleep...

When I awoke around 7am to get up for the day I rolled out of this bed and immediately knew something was wrong, VERY, VERY wrong. I literally could not move, at all. My back was in a major, major spasm attack, the kind that leaves you gasping and crying because you literally CANNOT move in any direction. It was horrible but I had no choice but to somehow get up. It took me ten minutes to get out of my pj's and into fresh underwear and leggings. I could not bend over and I could not get my socks and shoes on because I couldn't lift my legs either. Somehow I managed because I was not going to spend another night in this place!

I somehow got my stuff into the car and got on the road. I had to stop and get gas and coffee on the way out of town; I could barely get in and out of the car.

Thank god for cruise control and empty New Mexican highways. I drove the three hours back home in a state of excruciating pain but I made it. I got home and immediately took a leftover pain killer from my knee surgery and some Ibuprofin. Nothing was really helping so the next day I had my boyfriend take me to Urgent Care where I had to wait over an hour with all these sick people and kids with the flu (I made sure to wear a face mask and not touch anything). Sitting hurts, standing hurts and walking hurts - I finally saw the doctor (who seemed like he was getting sick himself) and he of course prescribed a major pain killer, high doses of Ibuprofin and a muscle relaxer, all of which I took as directed for about three and a half days. Yes, they work but I can't stand that drugged up feeling after a while and I am scared of getting hooked on narcotics.

So here I am on day six. Things are slowly improving, the spasms have alleviated but my sacroiliac joint and right hip are EXTREMELY sore and it is very difficult to get in and out of bed and to change positions. Walking is affected too as I can not take my normal-sized steps.

I have my second to last PT appointment for my knee on Tuesday and have a chiropractor appointment on Wednesday from someone who highly recommended this guy. So on I go, I'm feeling mentally better now that I am not taking the narcotics (it is easy to see how one can get mentally, let alone physically addicted to this stuff). I am able to do some VERY gentle stretching and am about to go on a simple morning walk before I open the gallery for today.

I am feeling very discouraged though; after the whole torn meniscus and knee surgery debacle (which started almost a whole year ago) I was finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel and super happy that I was getting my old active self back and looking forward to camping and hiking when the weather changes. Now I have this set back and it is PISSING ME OFF! I want my life back! I am sick of all these pains....